Finally got around to helping a buddy on his trim motor.

My buddy called a week or so ago and said he had a motor trim problem. He readily admits being limited when it comes to electrical things. He always fishes tournaments with his best friend (not me) so he doesn't really need his boat, it has been sitting over a year for other reasons. Anyhow, he bought a new battery and is trying to get back in the water in his own boat, a fiberglass Tracker I believe with a Mercury on it.
    His trim/tilt didn't work, so he surmised it was a bad pump motor. Mercury no longer sells his exact replacement trim motor, so he had to buy a motor and trim relay and wiring package. He installed the new motor and wiring and relays but called me when it still didn't work, and the instructions didn't tell him how to complete the job.
    Since he lives over an hour away, I didn't have the time to get to his house until yesterday. I added some Dorman Conduct Tite bullet connectors and he tried the throttle switch and it still didn't work. I did a few voltage checks and found no voltage on the control circuit to the relays. I found a rubberized fuse holder attached to the starter and opened it and a glass tube fell out. I then removed both ends of the broken fuse, replaced it with a new one and everything works as advertised.
    Think of it as a $200.00 fuse. I didn't tell him that was probably the only thing wrong with his trim motor all along.

2. Member
    LOL

Im sure that (throwing parts at a problem instead of testing) happens a lot more often than guys are willing to admit :)
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....