Ultrex honest evaluation.

Been reading all the .. uh ... stuff about the Ultrex and its problems. There have, no doubt, been issues, but this post is not about that. I just wanted to give my impressions about mine (80, 45, non link), having now used it a couple of weeks.

Right out of the box, mine had a bent armature and/or an imbalanced prop (I am relatively certain it had both). MK took care of it. Then, I didn't feel it was locking on to spot lock satisfactorily. Again, MK took care of it. I cannot complain, not one bit, about MK's CS. Completely satisfied, with one of the CS representatives even "bending the rules" to keep me on the water.

Now that I have that out of the way, I want to give my impressions on this expensive piece of equipment.

In my opinion, it is awesome. I have an Xpress X70 that is very susceptible to wind (blows around like a parachute). Thus, the main reason I made the leap was for the spot lock feature. I can't say it stays within 3' as claimed with my boat, but I am satisfied with how it locks on. It takes a bit for it to get locked on, but once it does it stays plenty close enough. Playing with the boat offset has helped with different wind conditions (haven't had it in any current). I cannot tell you how nice it is to hit the button and take care of whatever business I need to do - get a deep hook out of a fish, re-tie, whatever - and not worry about being blown a mile off my spot or into trouble. It is very, very nice to be able to spot lock on the downwind side of a point, ledge or brush pile and just stand there and fish. As far as functioning as a normal trolling motor, I must say I am very impressed. The turning response is very quick. It is not nearly as noisy as I expected. It has taken some getting used to in that the pedal does not offer as much resistance as my old Maxxum. I haven't played with the pedal adjustment screw, but not a big deal either way. It does turn further with the same amount of pedal movement when compared to the Maxxum, but I like that it does. Backing up is a breeze. After a few uses, I have adjusted and am pretty much able to know where I am at direction-wise without looking.

I haven't played a whole lot with other features like setting a course and letting the motor go, but it seems to do a reasonably good job with that.

Time will tell as for how well it will hold up, or if my pedal will freeze, etc., but for now, I am very pleased.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

2. Member
    Thanks for the report. You are correct. Sometimes field test have to be done by customers. Ultrex is a sign of things to come in a forever changing industry. There are many products that get push out the door before they are fully ready. Ultrex is no exception. One thing for sure I can compare this to sailor proof. If it passes the sailor test then you really have a great product. Take from a Sub sailor.
    All in all the one great thing about Minn Kota is they will work with you if you have problems. Yes some techs at the factory are not as good as others. If you feel like you are not getting a satisfactory answer don't come on social media and bitch about it.
    Let them know you are not satisfied and ask to speak to another Tech person. Be considerate, and patient. They deal with thousands of calls a day. One thing is for sure they will make all efforts to help the customers.
    As a last soap box statement one thing is always for sure. If you don't read the instructions then that can be part of the problem.

3. Member
    My first Ultrex was great for the first two months, until the pedal froze. Second one, pedal froze first day. Have been using my Fortrex while waiting for the new control board for the foot pedal. I really missed the Ultrex after having used it for a couple of months, especially the spot lock.

My ASC is also excellent. The new board came in yesterday morning. Dropped the Ultrex off at noon, went and had some lunch, and picked it up an hour later. I am glad to have it back, and am sure it will be fine now. If somebody is considering a new troller, I would now not hesitate to get one, as long as it has a manufacturing date after August 1, so you know that you are getting the new board.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    My first Ultrex was great for the first two months, until the pedal froze. Second one, pedal froze first day. Have been using my Fortrex while waiting for the new control board for the foot pedal. I really missed the Ultrex after having used it for a couple of months, especially the spot lock.

My ASC is also excellent. The new board came in yesterday morning. Dropped the Ultrex off at noon, went and had some lunch, and picked it up an hour later. I am glad to have it back, and am sure it will be fine now. If somebody is considering a new troller, I would now not hesitate to get one, as long as it has a manufacturing date after August 1, so you know that you are getting the new board.
    Are you talking august 1 of 2016 or 17?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebait View Post
    Are you talking august 1 of 2016 or 17?
    17. From what I understand, they recently fixed the board problem.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 411sponge View Post
    17. From what I understand, they recently fixed the board problem.
    ^^^^^^ Yes
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    I should add that the ASC I worked with was top notch as well.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

8. Member
    Ok, I'm just getting a little paranoid, I took ownership of my boat in late march and I had the dealer put the ultrex 80lb 45" I pilot link on. I've been out 5 times and it has worked flawlessly! I'm getting a little paranoid because I leave in 3 weeks to take it up to lake vermilion for 10 days!
    Last edited by Snakebait; 08-15-2017 at 06:08 PM.