Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post

I am disappointed in the way many of you are handling this. Many of you seem to think that as long as you personally didn't get hurt, then Garmin didn't do anything wrong and to heck with those who did get screwed. I just don't understand that attitude.
    For me, the severity of the offense is based on three different frames of reference.

First is to compare our expectations of Garmin as a company and to what they did and didn't do. On that, they get an "F". The significance of that is that all of us have to remember that it could happen again and next time it might be worse.

Second is to compare the whole situation to other companies and how they have done business over the years. The ones I have experience with are Vexilar, Humminbird and Lowrance. In my book Vexilar gets an A+. No chance anything like this would happen there. Humminbird, I give a C. I won't go into all the boring details but on the positive side I have gotten a lot of technical information from Humminbird that other companies would not release and in short, I would be very surprised for Humminbird to do something like this. On this scale I rank Lowrance below Garmin, far below. That's based on all the problems with the Gen1 HDS units and how they handled that situation. And similar to the first reference I have no reason whatsoever to believe that there is any less chance of it happening again.

The third reference would be based on the number of users affected and the functionality involved. On this the comparison is strictly between Garmin CV and Garmin GT transducers. Most are combo transducers, 2D, side imaging and down imaging. The 2d is the same. The side imaging is the same. The down imaging is different. It seems that most fishermen fish in water less than 50 feet deep, possible 30 or less. For these people the performance differential between a CV and GT transducer is minimal and that is not conclusive. I think Vik and others have made some credible arguments. The flip side of that is that I do fish deep water and if I had bought a CV setup I would have felt cheated. But then again, I wouldn't have bought one based on the information provided at the time. So my judgement on this would be to take whatever letter grade you would assign to the GT transducer and subtract to the next lower grade for the CV transducer. If the GT gets an A, then the CV gets a B. If the GT gets a D, then the CV gets an F.

Everybody that bought a unit with a CV transducer doesn't think they got screwed. My advice, based on personal experience and financial loss and getting screwed is to always buy from a seller that offers a 30 day return with refund or exchange.

So now, does this classify me as a "fanboy"?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    Sorry Leonard. Im fighting another dam kidney stone and I've been in a particularly bad mood the last few days which tends to make me less tolerant than I should be and certainly than polite. I should not have lashed out so strongly.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Banned
    Would I rather not have the CV? Ya.

But at $399 I think the Striker 7sv is still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Would I rather not have the CV? Ya.

But at $399 I think the Striker 7sv is still worth it.
    I had the chance to check out the striker unit recently. I was very impressed with the screen clarity. Its one hell of a unit for the price.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Lwinchester your not a Fan boy, just a voice of common sense and reason. A lot of guys on this board with myself included, appreciate your input.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    I'm fighting another dam kidney stone......
    No problem. I know all about kidney stones. When they redo the Guinness Book, under kidney stones will be my name. Very off topic but when you have Lithotripsy to bust one up, a thousand or so small grains remain in crevices and serve as the seed to grow new ones. I have 3 or 4 a year. I sure hope you get rid of it. There's nothing like it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    A quick 'off topic' comment - had 3 stones in 1 yr., 2nd one particularly 'bothersome'.
    Urologist suggested lemon juice (I think lime juice works also), which may
    inhibit stone formation. I take some every day and have not had a problem since.
    Maybe works, maybe just lucky, but I still take it every day 3 yrs. later.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

8. Member
    I'll have to try the lemon juice thing. I like lemnaid, so maybe....

So far, the meds Ive tried and diet changes make no difference for me. I've been having at least 5- 6 a year and sometimes as many as 8 for the last 10 years or so.

Ive only had to do one Lithotripsy but I've had a half dozen of the "other" ways to remove the stones that get stuck in the tubes - where they stick a lazer in through your.... and zap it. The Lithotripsy left me really sore for a couple of days but the lazers arent so bad - you sleep through the worst parts just fine :)

My 'tubes' are so reamed out by now that most of them pass with relatively 'minor' pain that I can handle with some medical weed. Every 5th or 6th one is still bad though.

9. Member
    Depth is 12.7m or 40feet, the CV52 sees the tree which is pretty far on the left (cast shadow) with both beams. DI is very strong and distinct due to propper settings :
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    Depth is 12.7m or 40feet, the CV52 sees the tree which is pretty far on the left (cast shadow) with both beams. DI is very strong and distinct due to propper settings :

Your singing to the choir Vik. My Cv helped me catch 47 bass today ...couldn't be happier..

11. Member
    This is mainly for vik...

As part of the civil lawsuit, Navico also accused Garmin of false advertising relating to false and misleading assertions regarding its transition from the infringing DownVü™ sonar-scanning to the replacement design called ClearVü™, which lacks a true downscan element. Although the U.S. District Court judge opted not to submit this issue to the jury, during the trial Garmin's sonar design engineer confirmed that ClearVü can miss objects directly beneath a user's boat.
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300517105.html

12. Member

during the trial Garmin's sonar design engineer confirmed that ClearVü can miss objects directly beneath a user's boat.
    Yes, it can miss small objects when sensitivity setting is low, actualy the same way as it happens on Lowrance units (see in red):

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....79#post8477379

It can happen at some depths when AUTO mode is used:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....31#post8441931

The CV52 CHIRP beams are wide and strong enough to see the same object which is even aside of the boat with proper sensitivity settings, and the object can not be missed on DI view when it caught with two SI beams.
    The best sign of correct DI sensitivity is the bottom line brightness on DI view - it should be more or less hot (not dark).
    Last edited by vik; 09-15-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234