Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    The Victron gauge is hooked up on the Negative side of the battery only with the shunt which measures all current going out. It explains it's function and how it works.Feel free to watch the videos
    https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...ttery-monitor/
    Last edited by flatsboy; 08-17-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Reading the literature, it seems that if used for series connected 12 volt batteries that are being charged individually by 12 volt charging banks, one would need to have a Victron Energy battery monitor/w shunt for each individual battery to be able to monitor as intended both charge and discharge amperages of each battery.

Only when using a special 24volt (or 36volt) charger, just one VictronEnergy monitor w/shunt could be used to monitor the "overall charging/discharging" of the series connected batteries. Few of us use such a charging setup.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-17-2017 at 09:34 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Reading the literature, it seems that if used for series connected 12 volt batteries that are being charged individually by 12 volt charging banks, one would need to have a Victron Energy battery monitor/w shunt for each individual battery to be able to monitor as intended both charge and discharge amperages of each battery.

Only when using a special 24volt (or 36volt) charger, just one VictronEnergy monitor w/shunt could be used to monitor the "overall charging/discharging" of the series connected batteries. Few of us use such a charging setup.
    Couldn't you just hook it up to one battery? You'd have to make the assumption that the rest of the batteries are discharging equally but it's more data than most of us have now.

Based on my brief experience with my Relion 80AH 36 volt ultrex system...I dont think the average day of fishing could ever deplete these batteries. Of course extreme use may have different results.

5. Member
    I'm running an Ulterra and, believe me, you don't want dead batteries with the motor deployed. Had one of my Relions fail and leave me unable to stow, except manually. Sent the bttery back a couple of weeks ago and still waiting to hear from them They're not a well-oiled machine when it comes to returns.
    Last edited by rockmike; 08-17-2017 at 12:48 PM.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Based on my brief experience with my Relion 80AH 36 volt ultrex system...I dont think the average day of fishing could ever deplete these batteries. Of course extreme use may have different results.
    I agree.. I don't think a normal fishing day could ever deplete my Battle Born' s either.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    Since I've been using Lithium batteries. I've been using the Victron Energy Gauge for my usage. It's very accurate and I can see my voltage,load,amp hours using and percentage left which is most important. Most of the time on a given fishing day I use about 40% the most 60% on a hard day in lots of current .I've never depleted my TM batteries yet they just keep on going and going. The Victron Gauge is great since you have a shunt on the negative circuit it's extremely accurate at least the best I've seen for a marine on the water application.

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700

I've looked at these. I think it would be a very nice add on.

8. Banned
    looks pretty cool

9. Member
    It is not difficult to reasonable predict when a given set of charged batteries would be considered depleted. Just need to know the battery's actual capacity, the amount of the trolling motor's amp draws, the duty cycle that the trolling motor is being used and maximum safe discharge % of the battery, ..... calculation is very similar whether the battery is flooded lead, AGM or lithium chemistry. An 80AH lithium that delivers its 80AH would seem to require being recharged.

The nice thing about the shunt style metering which the Victron device utilizes is that it tracks the amount of capacity the battery receives during charging and the amounts the battery has been actually delivering in recent discharges.......probably much more meaningful than only having a feeling what capacity might be left/not left in a battery toward the end of a days use. The Lithium's voltage being almost constant over a deep discharge offers little/no drop in speed or other notice to the non battery monitor equipped boat that a battery's voltage may be about to drop to almost zero.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-17-2017 at 07:10 PM.

10. Member
    dp

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post

I have a 36 volt setup with three Relion 50 ah batteries. I have one gauge and when your batteries are charged properly and balanced you get a overall reading for the 36 volt circuit since that's all that matters here not just a individual battery. Keep it simple makes life easier!
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

12. BBC SPONSOR

13. Banned
    power pole just introduced a new system as well, but it aint cheap

https://www.power-pole.com/charge

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    power pole just introduced a new system as well, but it aint cheap

https://www.power-pole.com/charge
    Did not see a price.... But it sounds like the Stealth One system.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    I'm running an Ulterra and, believe me, you don't want dead batteries with the motor deployed. Had one of my Relions fail and leave me unable to stow, except manually. Sent the bttery back a couple of weeks ago and still waiting to hear from them They're not a well-oiled machine when it comes to returns.
    What was the problem with the battery and did it show up early after your purchase?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    What was the problem with the battery and did it show up early after your purchase?
    It was hard to charge from day one. The charger would time out and I'd have to unplug it and start again. When it went dead it wouldn't charge at all. Been over two weeks and I'm still waiting to hear from them.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    It was hard to charge from day one. The charger would time out and I'd have to unplug it and start again. When it went dead it wouldn't charge at all. Been over two weeks and I'm still waiting to hear from them.
    Hate to hear that. I know of one particular instance that a customer got a battery that worked just fine but had a small potting issue on the negative terminal of one of his batteries.. Battle Born sent a brand new battery the day they was called with a return label for the old battery to be sent back. Received the new battery in 6 days. Things happen and we all are just human, but that is some great customer service if you ask me.
    Last edited by Buck456; 08-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Yeah that definitely wasnt normal. Two weeks is ridiculous...They should have sent you a replacement right away, as long as its not your charger. Did you try swapping banks to make sure it wasnt the charger?

19. Member
    How long have they actually had it? Seems like shouldn't take more than a couple of days to determine what's wrong once they actually have it in hand. Keep us posted

20. Banned
    If they go completely dead you have to connect them to a 12v source for 2 seconds. After that your charge will 'see' the battery again. You can also ignore the status lights on the charger. Simply check it with a meter of you want to make sure it charged

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast