Thread: Solar Ecplipse

Solar Ecplipse

I'm considering taking my son somewhere in the path of the total eclipse. MO would be the closest and I see there's a big function being held at the airport in St. Joseph. All the hotels there are booked up and we could stay in KC if necessary, but it looks like a 1 hour drive to St. Joe from there. Do any of you know of a decent hotel a little closer that I could check for vacancy? And/or any recommendations for another good location within the total eclipse path through MO, preferably where a viewing event is being held, that would be somewhat close to an airport? I sure would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Member
    You could drive to Beaver's Bend state park in Oklahoma. I think they are having a viewing at the damn on the lake. You could even bring your boat and do some fishing while you're there.

3. Member
    If there any vacancies in Smithville, MO, I'd suggest staying there. 15 minutes from MCI and very close to the eclipse path.

Also close to Smithville Lake if you get time to fish.

To my knowledge, most hotels in the totality path have been booked up for quite awhile now in the state of Missouri.

Good luck.

5. Member
    Monday sounds like it is going to be a complete mess around the st joe area. Most schools have cancelled due to expected traffic issues. I don't know how eager I would be to venture into the area.

it sounds like your best bet would be to drive up and go to the smallest town you can find somewhere away from the cities and the traffic, gonna be a mad house around here. Good luck!
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

7. Member
    They are talking 1.2-1.5 visitors to MO this weekend and MON...
    All the parks around here are closed unless you have the tickets they gave out.. Im a little south of 70 and its going to be a nut house around the area with the parks and the wide open fields...
    Not to mention st charles is having their BIGGEST event of the year, Festival of the little hills craft show, which draws 300-500K visitors in the 3 days...
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

8. Banned
    I got a room yesterday at LOZ, it's right on the edge of totality. I did see a few vacancies in the over $500 range.

9. Member
    Thanks for all the input. I may look into LOZ, but we may just have to wait til 2024 when the path of totality crosses Texas. It's beginning to sound like a bigger mess than I'm willing to keep my son out of school for.