What length rod for pitching boat docks?

Do you elect to use a traditional flipping stick, or something shorter? I mainly punch vegetation only, and use a 7'9" rod. Was thinking of going for something in the 7'4" rage for flipping docks. What do you guys use?

2. Member
    I grew up fishing the lake of the ozarks which has just about more floating docks than any other lake in the US and I like using 7'3-7'6 but I can't get away with a 8'... it just gets a little tight going in between docks
    '01 Gambler DE Intimidator
    250 Merc Pro XB

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between your 7'9" and 7'4". At ;east not enough to justify spending the money on a new rod...as if you needed an excuse!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

How tall are you? If part of your pitching includes skipping, I think that's a really important consideration. I'm about 6' 2" and have found it much easier to skip with a 7 footer. I have a 7'6" that I use for punching that I've tied jigs onto and tried to skip - it's significantly tougher. This is particularly true of a "pitch skip," but also seems to matter with the standard roll cast skip.

In fairness, this maybe could all be attributed to what I'm used to as well. I feel like the length of rod makes a difference above and beyond that, though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    I much prefer a 6'8"-7'0" rod for skipping docks and I'm 6'3". The less rod the better. Using a longer rod makes it a lot harder if you ask me. I can handle a 7'3" or 7'4" but it's harder if you're not used to it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    I much prefer a 6'8"-7'0" rod for skipping docks and I'm 6'3". The less rod the better. Using a longer rod makes it a lot harder if you ask me. I can handle a 7'3" or 7'4" but it's harder if you're not used to it.

x2

I'm 6ft tall, so maybe I should try the 7 foot rod length. I have never skipped baits, but it's something I need to work on for sure.

8. Member
    Skipping and pitching are two completely different things in my book.... 7'4 -7'6 for pitching and 7 for skipping. The post was about pitching I thought.
    '01 Gambler DE Intimidator
    250 Merc Pro XB

9. Member
    7' for sure, if you are going to be pitching and skipping. I'm 6'2" and that seems short enough to do everything I want to do.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS