Pouring advice needed

Im trying to pour a do it screw loc worm nose jig and am having a couple intermittent issues. First one is sometimes the jig comes out looking good but the hook is loose. Second is sometimes the lead gets into the coil and is not easy to get out without ruining the coil. Can I use a blow torch to melt the lead out of the coil w/out ruining the rest of jig? Both problems dont happen all of the time seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Using pure lead that i fluxed with compound, a bottom pour spout pot, do it mold and lead seems to be a correct working temp as my other tube jig heads came out great. Also pot is full and mold warm. Im not pulling the jigs out by the hook and when mold closes there is no gap in the seam as all of the components in the mold are correct size and placed in where they need to be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

No don't use a torch. You are not getting your mold closed tight enough is why you are getting lead to pour into your spring. Also Try powder paint and that should solve your loose hook problem.

Im squeezing it as closed as it will go but it is possible i guess. As far as the paint i really know nothing about the painting process and was not planning on painting I was going to run them as is

4. Member
    when you take the jigs our of the mold, do not grab them by the hook.. use pliers and grab them by the spru (the little cone of lead at the top) let them cool completely before doing any clean up on the lead... that should solve your loose hook issue..

as far as the other.. you have to close carefully to be sure nothing moves around.. sounds like the spring is slipping out of the little slot...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    when you take the jigs our of the mold, do not grab them by the hook.. use pliers and grab them by the spru (the little cone of lead at the top) let them cool completely before doing any clean up on the lead... that should solve your loose hook issue..

as far as the other.. you have to close carefully to be sure nothing moves around.. sounds like the spring is slipping out of the little slot...
    X2

I'd also turn up the pot a bit and see if hotter lead sealed the deal with the hook.

6. Member
    Even with that good "click" sound, a tiny speck can cause flash. Those darn tiny wires move around too. I slooow down and get better pours.

Was grabbing by the spru but may not have let them cool completely. Going to give her another shot with hotter lead and a slower pour also let em cool more before i mess with em. I appreciate all the help guys the BBC brotherhood is priceless and the wealth of knowledge is a great tool for us all. You all are the best. Ill let ya know how she goes

I will sometimes get a loose hook on some jigheads...particularly tube heads where I am pouring 4 at a time pretty quickly. My theory is that the cold hook is cooling the lead too quickly. So, I slow down and when I put my hooks in the mold, let them sit for just a few seconds to absorb some heat from he mold. That seems to solve the problem, most of the time.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

SUCCESS!!! All of the suggestions were put to use i poured with the lead hotter and poured slower also made sure that the coils were sitting so that they almost created a seal where the jig head was. Also let them cool down before i messed with them. Poured 30 total and only had 3 hooks that were a little loose. Very happy with em now to put them to work. Thanks for all of the tips i really appreciate it!

10. Member
    You are most welcome. Many times guys of forums have shortened the learning curve for me.

Jig man I agree with that 100% the knowledge on this site and with our members is an awesome resource and has helped me greatly. Definitely shorten the learning curve immensely. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    You are most welcome. Many times guys of forums have shortened the learning curve for me.
    Yep

13. Member
    I've had the same problem because I get in a hurry, but as far as the little bit sticking out by the coil , just take a cheap razor and knock it off. I got some sheet of lead from walls of a x-ray room , so it's pure and soft. You can acually cut the sheet with good scissors.