Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visiting Alabama

Me and my girlfriend are visiting Alabama this fall (November 18-23) I want to fish Lewis smith, guntersville, and coosa river. Wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the coosa and gville, I should be ok on Lewis smith since I'd imagine it fishes similiar to table rock which I'm familiar with. We're not forsure where we're staying yet but probably soumewhere near Huntsville. Thanks for any help fellas.

I'd stay away from Smith and just go to Guntersville and Neely... You're prolly gonna catch better spots on Neely anyway. The only thing that Smith has that the other two don't are some really big stripers...that being said wouldn't waste a day on Smith....
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

3. Member
    Is Neely Henry part of the coosa and have those big ol mean spots?

4. Member
    Also does anyone have any cities they'd reccomend we look into staying at? Somewhere with good restaurants and things to do when not fishing.

5. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    Neely is most definitely part of the Coosa. It is my 2nd favorite Coosa lake, behind Weiss. Neely is easy to run and you can usually find some good spots there. IMHO, Weiss has better fish, but can be much more difficult to run if you have never been there.

6. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    Oh yeah, Guntersville. Make sure you bring a frog rod or 3.

7. Member
    they'll still be eating top water that good in the end of November??

Yes and yes... You can catch good fish on Smith but I've never done it.... That lake baffles me.... Neely fishes to my strengths at times and there are some good spots there. My best is a little over 5 lbs but it's on the other side of the state from me so I don't get to fish it as often as if like. There's some bigger. If you really have to come to this side of the state come to Florence and fish Pickwick and Wilson... If not, stay at Guntersville at Neely... You won't be disappointed...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    Mitchell and Jordan both have better spot fishing that time of year than neeley.

10. Member
    Oh my goodness. If you don't fish Smith you are going to cheat yourself out of some of the best spot fishing in the world. I'm sure it might intimidate some guys but for me it is pure awesome. I live here and fish here all the time. I used to live on Smith and had a place on Guntersville too. I'd pass on Guntersville and head to Smith in a heartbeat if I "had" to choose between them. One lake you might want to look at is Pickwick. Check out some of the smallies and largemouth we have been catching there and it will get you interested. BTW, it was luck but I caught a 6 pound spot there too a couple years ago. All the lakes around here are great and I do love the Coosa chain of lakes so you won't go wrong with any of them.

11. Member
    Dang, I just moved from Bowling Green Mo to Tuscaloosa a couple years ago. I don't fish Guntersville or Smith much but I will be fishing on the Coosa this fall I will be happy to let you know how its going as time gets closer. I am fairly new to area so I am still learning myself.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    Also does anyone have any cities they'd reccomend we look into staying at? Somewhere with good restaurants and things to do when not fishing.
    Some parts of huntsville can be alittle rough. just ask that "hide yo kids, hide yo wife" guy "antoine dodson" (he is from huntsville)

This hotel is in the nicer part of town. There is alot of places within walking distance, and there's an Academy and Cabelas within 5 minutes. "Bridgestreet" is a nice outdoor shopping area with texas de brazil and some other high end restaurants if the woman wants a night out. You'll be about an hour from Guntersville, Pickwick, and Smith.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...research-park/

this one is also in a pretty decent area of huntsville.

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...ode.01122.html
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    Some parts of huntsville can be alittle rough. just ask that "hide yo kids, hide yo wife" guy "antoine dodson" (he is from huntsville)

This hotel is in the nicer part of town. There is alot of places within walking distance, and there's an Academy and Cabelas within 5 minutes. "Bridgestreet" is a nice outdoor shopping area with texas de brazil and some other high end restaurants if the woman wants a night out. You'll be about an hour from Guntersville, Pickwick, and Smith.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...research-park/

this one is also in a pretty decent area of huntsville.

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...ode.01122.html
    We will be using airbnb for a place to stay, that's why I was more looking for areas that are better than others. But I can look up where those two motels are and try to find something close to there. Thank you sir

14. Banned
    Your wife would be satisfied with you fishing out of Florence. Our downtown area has really been hopping this weekend with the return of the college students to the university. The restaurants locally are decent, and so are our hotels.

15. Member
    Well I booked our trip today on airbnb at a little place in hartselle. I think we're just going to fish wheeler and gville. Is there any ramps you'd recommend at those 2 lakes? I found one on gville right where 69 crosses the lake and one on wheeler right across the lake from elk river off 400. Are those decent ramps?

16. Member
    i recommend skip wheeler lol. if not you would be closer to ingalls harbor from hartselle

17. Dogfish_Jones
    I prefer the lake just below Neely Henry, Logan Martin Lake, it has some nice spots with a mix of a few largemouths around the grass lines. Just another 30 minutes from Neely Henry and your on Logan Martin.

18. Member
    I think I'm going to skip on the coosa cause it's such a far drive from where we're staying. But I was reading some reviews and stuff online and seemed like wheeler was good during the fall, why do you say skip it?

19. Member
    im not sure I could catch a cold on wheeler. lol Wilson and pickwick is just down the road. but heck you may go and catch em lights out

20. Member
    You're the one who lives there not me, I'll take your advise lol are you recommending Wilson or pickwick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast