Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I would skip Wheeler and hit Wilson as well. If you can swing it I would suggest hiring a guide for a half day. Jimmy Mason is a good one in that area. As far as Pickwick vs Wilson, I personally prefer Pickwick, probably because I have fished it more. Again, if I were driving that far to fish it for the first time I would hire a guide, JMO...

2. Member
    Hiring a guide isn't a bad idea. Ill look into him. thanks

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    You're the one who lives there not me, I'll take your advise lol are you recommending Wilson or pickwick
    they are about 2 min from each other do one half day the other the other half. so many opportunities to fish in this area

4. Member
    there is also several good guides, jimmy from what I hear is the best. there is Cameron gauntey(spelling)? also Alabama bass guides with ryan saulzer I think

5. Member
    Met Cameron at Wilson launch last time I was there, super nice guy. Partner and I fished with Jimmy few years ago, half the day on Wilson and other half on Wheeler. I much prefer Wilson. Andy, the reason I suggest hiring a guide is to see the full potential these lakes have to offer. If the smallmouth bite is on it can be one heck of a fun trip.

6. Member
    Yeah the article I was reading talked about how good the smallmouth bite can be in late fall and I'd definitely like to get on that

If you don't get a guide, fish the lower end of Wheeler. I lost a monster smallie at the boat last week. I live within 25 min of Wheeler but almost go to Guntersville every week.
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by poeman View Post
    there is also several good guides, jimmy from what I hear is the best. there is Cameron gauntey(spelling)? also Alabama bass guides with ryan saulzer I think
    Ryan Salzman... He's very capable on the lakes around here as well.. There are some big fish in Wheeler and it is better when it's cold or colder anyway... That being said I have caught some really good fish there and I've caught some of my best smallmouth on Wheeler I'm the cold but that is the lake that I hate the mostestest....I hate that lake can't say it enough...
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 09-27-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12