Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar

Ranger raised the prices on their tin rigs....

Ranger updated their website, and raised their prices as well.....the same boat was $1000 less expensive last week....what the heck?!?!

2. Member
    much driven by aluminum shortages and buying from China..
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Will be interesting to see what happens with GM switches to aluminum in their trucks, will put a bigger strain on supply.

Well.....that will make my '14 more appealing to someone to buy.

Happens around this time every year. That is around a 3.8% increase. Pretty typical.

6. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    They actually raised their prices on almost everything, accessories, outboards, ect. The only thing different between the 2017, and 2018 models is an all fiberglass coin box, I don't think that constitutes to such a price increase.

A year ago raw aluminum spot was $0.75 a pound ....today the price is about $0.93 a pound. That's quite an increase and besides labor, it is probably their main cost. I don't know how much finished sheet aluminum went up------ but probably more than the raw cost did.

Most manufacturing jobs like Flippin include benefits like hospitalization insurance which has also increased a lot.

I don't think a $1000 increase in the cost of the boat is all that bad year to year considering that probably all their accessories and raw materials for carpet and seats and such also went up in cost.....but the aluminum is a big deal.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

8. Member
    I think Panama is spot on. Aluminum cost and Insurance costs for their workforce is enough to drive them up.

9. Member
    Add supply and demand and it's all over but the tears/crying.
    Find a used boat. My RT178 sold for $9k less than cost.
    And it was cherry, very well kept, dealer maintained fully.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I think Panama is spot on. Aluminum cost and Insurance costs for their workforce is enough to drive them up.
    Agreed, economic factors (aluminum, labor costs, insurance, etc) eventually drive the price up on anything. I checked the site and just changing the color of the boat I just ordered is now over $100 more than it was when the site had 2017 models. Luckily I ordered a 2018 model (in July) for the 2017 price. Now I just have to suffer through waiting on it.

2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    They actually raised their prices on almost everything, accessories, outboards, ect. The only thing different between the 2017, and 2018 models is an all fiberglass coin box, I don't think that constitutes to such a price increase.
    I called Ranger to see how much they wanted for the new fiberglass coin box to put in my 17' rt188.
    They want $770 for silver flake
    and $790 for the red wine color flake. Thought that was pretty high, so I'm a no go on that upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Add supply and demand and it's all over but the tears/crying.
    Find a used boat. My RT178 sold for $9k less than cost.
    And it was cherry, very well kept, dealer maintained fully.
    Dealer here says they are selling them just as fast as they can get them in.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonsweb View Post
    much driven by aluminum shortages and buying from China..
    That BS, it has absolutely nothing to do with that.

The cost went up so the people at the top can line their pockets with bonuses come season end.

It's all about "Lets screw the consumer again so my lazy ass can get another bonus".

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsully View Post

The cost went up so the people at the top can line their pockets with bonuses come season end.

It's all about "Lets screw the consumer again so my lazy ass can get another bonus".
    A lot of folks like to think this way, and in some cases it might be true. But you have to stop for a second and think about what being an executive at a large company entails. You are making decisions that affect large parts of (or the entire) company. If you make bad choices, not only will the company suffer but you will be out of a job. There is almost no protection for executive level employees unless they own a large part of the company or has someone that does to protect them. Also, contrary to popular belief if you perform poorly as an executive it's not easy to just go out and get another executive level job unless you are in government contracting or professional sports. Sure they make lots of money, but the risks of their employment increase with each promotion. If some hourly production guy is having a bad day and does something that gets someone seriously injured or even killed the upper levels of management have to answer for that even though they most likely had nothing to do with it. If your plant got shut down for a serious occurrence how likely are you to survive the fall out as plant manager? How about the manager's boss? Like it or not these companies are in business to make money. Some treat their folks better than others, but if profit isn't being made there won't be any jobs to be had and no products for you to bitch about how much they cost.

Quote Originally Posted by drtyrat30 View Post
    I called Ranger to see how much they wanted for the new fiberglass coin box to put in my 17' rt188.
    and $790 for the red wine color flake. Thought that was pretty high, so I'm a no go on that upgrade.
    This coin box May be of interest. Only $100 and free shipping.
    https://www.bassboatseats.com/produc...torage-console

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drtyrat30 View Post
    I put one of these in my 2015 RT188. http://www.basscatstore.com/carpetedstepbox.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsully View Post

Yeah, bass boat manufacturers traditionally make so much profit.

Do you have any idea how many brands that are no longer around? Ranger is owned by a huge corporation these days. Do you expect them to stay the same price and keep adding features? My first one was 9,000.00. That was back in 1985 or 86? It was bare bones by today's standards. According to any inflation calculation that's about 24K. IMO they are doing OK for what's been added.

19. Banned
    We live in a free market society. Ranger can charge whatever they want for their boats and we can chose whether or not we want to buy them. Plenty of competition out there, no one is forced to buy Ranger. Premium products command premium pricing. As long as they can hold on to their reputation, be prepared to pay for it. The fact that Brunswick has really stepped it up the last couple years with the Lund bass boats and all the new offerings from Crestliner, Ranger aluminum better step it up a notch if they want to remain a viable option.

20. Member
    Hmm, Tracker added a trim gauge, water pressure too. Their price went up $500. A new console with added (expensive to add for owner's) features for a $500 price rise. Hmm, I guess they have a cheaper source of alum, or people just like to excuse their brand... Like Ford and Chevy. Just be honest, they raised the price because they can make additional profit. Nothing wrong with that or with paying more for "your" brand. But don't fool yourself with excuses for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast