Play in bow eye holes?

The previous owner of my boat pulled it around with a loose bow eye hooked up. Not sure if he didn't notice it or just didn't care to fix it. Before I tighten it back up I need to know if there should be any play in the area it bolts up to or if I should fill in around it with jb weld, etc.

Seal it with silicone and re tighten careful not to crack the glass. You may need to use lock nuts.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Mine had a rotten piece of wood inside for reinforcement.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Assuming you have access to inside, completely remove it and check for wood reinforcement. If it was loose, chances are water may have gotten in and could have rotted.
    Best bet is to fill the holes with thickened epoxy (not the 5 minute stuff), and redrill holes when it's cured.
    Use marine silicone to seal when re-installing, along with either a thick aluminum backer plate, or extra large fender washers (grade 8 hardened if you can find them; they won't warp when you torque them like stainless ones will).

5. Member
    That is one of the very few things I would install with 5200.

6. Member
    It needs to be tight in the hole because every time you drive it on the trailer it will hit the front mount. If it is loose I would fill the hole with some good resin and redrill it. If it needs some extra reinforcement inside you can do that at the same time. Then silicon it back in and tighten it up.

7. Member
    Guys, silicone is never the right sealant for things that penetrate the hull below the rub rail. That is asking for water intrusion and rot. A bow eye should be a relatively permanent fixture. 5200 is the right adhesive here.