Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Anyone fishing a topwater prop bait?

Hey guys!

I've been fishing a topwater prop bait a little bit this summer on Beaver Lake and catching some nice bass. I'm throwing a Lucky Craft Kelly J prop bait, but I hear the Brians Bee is the way to go. Also looking to experiment with Whopper Plopper in the same situation. Any opinions?

Here's a video on how I'm fishing it and what types of places have worked for me:

Let me know if there is anything I'm missing so I can figure out this bite!!!

Thanks,
    Fish the Moment
    YouTube Fisherman
    FLW College Fishing Southern Conference Champion
    5-Time Junior B.A.S.S. State Champion in Arkansas and Wisconsin

Check out my YouTube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWM...lN-Jfw6o-hGTuw

Please leave a comment on my videos to let me know how I can improve and what other techniques I should talk about!

2. Member
    Brians Bee don't work, don't buy them or tell anyone about them

I love that Kelly J.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by medicpelle View Post
    Brians Bee don't work, don't buy them or tell anyone about them
    Agree! Terrible worthless bait

5. Member
    At $28 a pop, i will stick with my x-prop. Ooooops, i meant to say bo howdy... i mean devils horse... ah i mean i dont throw prop baits. Yeah thats it...

I looked Bee that thing up. You've all got more stones than me! $28, then I have to add my own hooks and split rings. Then a pike takes it and I'm SOL. No thanks!

I actually have one of the Kelly J's. Haven't thrown it much, but really need to try it some more.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I looked Bee that thing up. You've all got more stones than me! $28, then I have to add my own hooks and split rings. Then a pike takes it and I'm SOL. No thanks!

I actually have one of the Kelly J's. Haven't thrown it much, but really need to try it some more.
    I don't run into many Pikes down south so I'll take my chances lol

8. Member
    Been throwing prop baits for nearly 60 years. Started with Heddon dying Flutters and Dalton Specials through todays Kelly J's and Live Target herring imitations.
    I usually wait 6 to 10 seconds between rips, and 10 to 30 seconds of no movement on initial casts. Slower gets the big bass that won't hit the faster retrieves.

No doubt. I'll stick to my Cotton Cordell Crazy Shads

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    No doubt. I'll stick to my Cotton Cordell Crazy Shads
    +1 or Torbedo

11. Member
    The issue with Brian's is there's nothing supporting the wire inside the wood and a 5-6 lb fish can rip/bend the wire out of the bait. (I have video proof. haha)

The wire will rip out if you hit a pier, tree, etc by accident.

A buddy of mine near Lake Wylie, SC has some awesome balsa prop baits that will hold up much better than Brian's.

Hand painted, hand assembled, aluminum insert surrounding the wire so it's a lot more rigid, and $19.99 instead of $28.

They aren't listed on his website, but I just talked to him and he has a few left in stock. If interested, https://huntfishpaddle.com/ 803-831-0251- Ask for Adam.

12. Member
    I have several Kelly J's and don't throw them that much because they seem to dive when I pull or twitch them. Not sure if they are supposed to do this or if something is off in my set up?? Appreciate any pointers?!?!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    I have several Kelly J's and don't throw them that much because they seem to dive when I pull or twitch them. Not sure if they are supposed to do this or if something is off in my set up?? Appreciate any pointers?!?!
    Plastic won't float near as good as balsa. Get some good quality balsa prop baits and you will notice a huge difference.

14. Member
    PH Custom Lures Crazy Ace. Bluegill pattern.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    I'm no expert on the Kelly J's but I think that they are supposed to lay lower in the water and work as a topwater/subsurface bait. Others, please correct me if I am wrong. I just started using them.

16. Member
    I prefer my topwaters to sit low in the water. Many times a bass doesn't get high flotation lures like those made of balsa very deep in their mouths, so more missed strikes and poor hook imbedment. I like how the kelly J sits and works.

17. Member
    Thanks for all the comments y'all! I guess I'll try out one of these "crappy" Brian's Bees
    Fish the Moment
    YouTube Fisherman
    FLW College Fishing Southern Conference Champion
    5-Time Junior B.A.S.S. State Champion in Arkansas and Wisconsin

Check out my YouTube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWM...lN-Jfw6o-hGTuw

Please leave a comment on my videos to let me know how I can improve and what other techniques I should talk about!

18. Banned

Yeah snot rockets all over here too Drew....the secret is to start praying before it hits the water and hope something gets to it first

19. Member
    Ive never thrown a brians bees...alot of my buddies do, but i will tell you the ones from academy (their h20 express brand) are no joke. Been doing really good for me this year.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

Heddon torpedoes. Come in a variety of colors and sizes.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast