1st Crab Orchard trip

My wife wants to make a run downstate to view the eclipse and I talked her into taking the boat down for some fishing since we'll be right in the area Any recommendations on some starting spots for late August? Will probably tent camp overnight at one of the campgrounds on the north side of the lake (anyone stayed at either Blue Heron or Crab Orchard?) so maybe creek arms in the vicinity? Appreciate your thoughts fellas!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

2. Member
    If your used to road noise, you'll be fine. Otherwise take some ear plugs. The highway is real close to one of the campgrounds.

3. Member
    Several nice campgrounds around Crab Orchard(3-4). The fishing can be good even in hot weather on this lake. High O2 content, fairly shallow, alot of cover and structure. There is a campground off HWY 13 in the Cambria area that is clean, has a beach, ramp, store. Good luck, im heading there tomorrow am.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info Mo! Lemme know how the bite was! Wish you well [

QUOTE=MoStratos;8644063]Several nice campgrounds around Crab Orchard(3-4). The fishing can be good even in hot weather on this lake. High O2 content, fairly shallow, alot of cover and structure. There is a campground off HWY 13 in the Cambria area that is clean, has a beach, ramp, store. Good luck, im heading there tomorrow am.[/QUOTE]

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

5. Member
    Toyotakev, my buddy and i caught 15 this am. Most were decent, biggest was 3-2. No bigger ones. Fished shallow around milfoil/elodea patches. Best bait was a black/blue flake Yum Dinger, rigged weightless. They did not want a moving bait much at all. We also threw horny toad, swim jig, swim bait, hollow body frog. FYI you will need a boat sticker($15.00 and a sticker for your truck($10.00) Crab Orchard is federally controlled, so there you are. Good luck and have fun!

6. Member
    I know it's hard to believe it but there is expected to be an additional 300,000 people in southern illinois due to the eclipse. Most campgrounds and all hotels /motels are already full. I would check before making the drive.

7. Member
    What is being considered southern Illinois, for the eclipse?

8. Member
    Sorry... I believe the majority of the traffic is expected to be in the Jackson and Williamson county areas

9. Member
    My condolences!