rheostat on Motorguide or Minn kota

Was wondering if there was a way to install a rheostat to make any trolling motor a varible speed. My MG tour on low is still pretty fast. Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Was wondering if there was a way to install a rheostat to make any trolling motor a varible speed. My MG tour on low is still pretty fast. Just curious
    What Motor Guide Tour do you have that is not variable speed?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    tour 70 has 1 thru 5. What I am saying is a true variable speed slow, slower than 1

tour 70 has 1 thru 5. What I am saying is a true variable speed slow, slower than 1
    Variable speed is just that, variable from no RPM's to max RPM's.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    that would be a no. That motor is a 5 speed and the speed is controlled by windings in the foot. Those windings have to have a 24 volts or 12 volts. Lowering the voltage to the troll motor is asking for trouble with wiring. That is what a rheostat will do.

6. Member
    Actually, the speed is electronically controlled by a "speed controller" in the head. Reostats are nothing like a speed controller and would not work in this application.

Speed controllers vary the pulse width of the power going to the motor. The voltage the motor sees never changes - its just switched on/off very rapidly. The speed controller changes the ratio between ON and OFF cycles to vary the speed. A reostat varies the voltage while leaving the power on full time. Totally different animals.

Those pulses are where most of the sonar interference comes from.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Actually, the speed is electronically controlled by a "speed controller" in the head. Reostats are nothing like a speed controller and would not work in this application.

Speed controllers vary the pulse width of the power going to the motor. The voltage the motor sees never changes - its just switched on/off very rapidly. The speed controller changes the ratio between ON and OFF cycles to vary the speed. A reostat varies the voltage while leaving the power on full time. Totally different animals.

Those pulses are where most of the sonar interference comes from.
    Not quite correct but close. The rheostat in the trolling motor controls the resistance (I'm talking Motorguide since that's what the OP has) to the module located in the lower unit. As that resistance changes, the module increases or decreases the pulses to vary the speed -- unless it's a hand operated, in which case the rheostat still controls the resistance but at a certain level, it changes the relays located on the brush card to reverse the current and make it go in reverse. This, on a digital motor, is apx 2.5K. For this reason, 0 to 2.5 is one direction and 2.5 to 5K is the other direction. At any rate, it is rheostat controlled, but not as the OP was thinking.
    Now, to the OP, you can purchase a PWM speed controller, place the trolling motor and high and wire the PWM into the wiring going to the trolling motor and get a variable speed motor. don't know the cost of doing this as this is an aftermarket "fix".
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    thanks to all for the responses, You don't know if you don't ask.