98 Fast Strike j115glecm not getting fuel to #4 cylinder

Hello everyone, new here so thanks for having me, think I have a doosie of a first question for you. My engine is not getting fuel to the #4 cylinder. First thought it was a carb problem so i took them off and cleaned them well. Set floats back to manual specs, reinstalled and nothing. Moved carbs around from a cylinder that was working to problem cylinder and still no fuel. Next step was to check throttle body and reeds. Four reeds on that cylinder had close to an eighth inch gap in them so i straightened them out and they stayed closed while out of the engine. Next was the throttle body, removed screen that shoots fuel to that carb and it had what appeared to be dried pine tar in little rock formations. Cleaned that out and cleaned throttle body really good and put everything back together. Hooked up the muffs and bam, #4 would fire as it should. Ran on the muffs for almost 10 minutes with no problem. Took the boat out Saturday morning and after about 10 minutes of riding I decided I'd better check it out and once again no fuel to that cylinder. Brought it back to the hill on the trolling motor, do not want to fry that cylinder. Have 123psi compression check on that cylinder and other 3 have 125. Anybody have a clue as to whats going on with that cylinder? Also anything i can put in that cylinder to keep it lubricated while im running tests?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Swap the carbs between #2 and #4 see if it stays with the cylinder. You should never straighten reeds or flip them over always replace them.

3. Member
    It stays with same cylinder. Getting a new set of reeds tomorrow. I feel like I'm chasing my tail on this one. Been messing with this problem since last Tuesday and can not get it figured out

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Has the motor sat for any long periods? Have the filters, separators, fuel lines ever been replaced? Fuel system cleaned/flushed afterwards? The junk you are finding in the fuel system is a big indicator where to start. Even though you saw a gap in the reeds, don't think that is your problem. But like Fred says, never bend or flatten them. Replacement is the only way to fix worn or bent reeds. Did you use new carb kits and gaskets when you did the carbs and intakes and throttle bodies? Reed box gaskets, ect. Did you remove jets and orifices and clean passages? I would have serviced the entire fuel system instead of starting back up after carb service and possibility of pushing more goop back into carbs..
    Last edited by omcforever; 08-13-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    No, bought the boat in August of last year and its been on the water at least twice a week since then. Started having trouble the beginning of last week with, talked to a few guys and they all said it sounded like an elecreical problem, coils or optical sensor or something to that nature. Hooked it up to the hose in the yard to check spark with a gap tester and thats when i noticed the #4 plug was clean as a whistle and had no smell of fuel. Took the carbs off and cleaned them good, set floats to manual specs, didnt buy new components, I know i should have but had a small thing Saturday morning so was hoping on a quick fix. Cleaned throttle body really well, straightened reeds out and put it back together friday night. Everything worked as it should, Saturday morning not so much. Your quote matches my situation perfectly. Not doing it again until i have all new parts to go back with. From what I've told you do you think cleaning the fuel system out and new components will help my cause? Getting a good used set of reeds this afternoon, dont want the ones i had to straighten to break and cause a real problem.

6. Member
    Also, the only jet i can see is the high speed jet in the bottom of the bowl. Where are the others located? I have the service manual for that engine, well the manual is a 97 and my engine is 98, but i cant find anything in the manual about cleaning the other jets.

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

8. Member
    Thanks, but do you know where the other jets are located in the carb? Would like to make sure i have those cleaned good as well. Basically all i did was blow air through all the passages on the carb and crossed my fingers. I know thats not the way to go but i cant find the others

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    #9/#15. Make sure fuel manifolds are clear/clean as well as the fuel entry and needle and seat area. Insure you put kits in the carbs and replace all gaskets and seals with new.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Prime the system then remove the hose from the pulse limiter and start the motor see if #4 starts running then. If it does you've got a bad air motor pump in your VRO and is flooding #4.

11. Member
    Thank you for the info. Sorry it took so long for a reply, been very busy at work. Hope to get to work with it this afternoon. Will post update

12. Member
    Ok guys, here is where i stand now. Ended up replacing reeds on 2 and 4, replaced all 4 carb bowls, they were warped and cracked some kinda bad. Went through and cleaned entire fuel system on engine, took everything fuel related off and apart and inspected good and put back on. Been on the water 3 times so far and it runs alot better than it was. Can get back to wot, 5300rpm. One thing i cant figure out is if i really get on it from a dead stop it still has a little stutter around 3500rpm, if i take it easy on the throttle it runs like a top all the way to wot. Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, been very busy at work, just had inspection and getting ready for golf season. Anyway, thank you everyone for all the input. Lord I hope this post doesn't jinx it.

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Golf season??????? This is prime time fishing in SC the next few months,,,,