Astro 18FDX Set up info???

A buddy of mine just got a 1990 Astro 18FDX, need some info on the set up, or at least a good starting point?

It has a Merc. 150 with a 6in jack plate. Could you give me some info. on Prop to pad measurements, what prop, pitch, and .....?

What can he expect to get out of it with the right set up?

Thanks!

2. Member
    23 tempest, 2"s below the pad????, watch water pressure. 150efi should be low 60's and xr6 should be high 50's. Both being 150, never could figure out why the efi has been 2-3mph faster.

3. Member
    Thanks for the help Troy. Honestly when it comes to set up I have no idea where to begin. When you say pad I'm not 100% sure where about that is considered to be. I've only had my aluminium with a 25hp and didn't really have to worry about any of that stuff.

4. Member
    i have basically the same setup a 18.50 scx with a 150 i was running a 23 tempest but was having issues with getting on pad with both tanks full ,fish in the livewell and another person,called merc and they suggested either 3 or 4 blade 14x21 preferably 4 blade so i bought a 4 blade 13 3/4 x 21 trophy plus ss and problem solved with tanks full and another person she jumps on plane with no problem and really didnt hurt top end speed or wot

5. Member
    Those boats are tanks, never were speed demons. Ditch the oil injection and spin it to 6k

6. Member
    What would be the best size jackplate???

7. Member
    bump?