Opinions on a spoon rod

I'm just starting to use some flutter style spoons. Mainly the strike king 5.5 spoon,but also the big Nichols spoons.
    What would be a good all around rod?
    Thanks

2. Member
    Dobyns Sierra

I have the Sierra SA 734C and I use it for spoons a lot. A lot of people like a longer rod for casting distance and to move more line, but I like this length better. It's A LOT less tiring throughout the day. I used to use a 7'10" rod for spoons and found that rod to be too much. I get the same distance and the same action with the SA 734C. I fish spoons a lot and this has to be one of the best rods I've ever used for spoons. Price point is good and so is the warranty.

Have you checked out the Ben Parker Magnum Spoon Rod from ALX Rods?

Ben's signature rod for the bait he made famous. When the rod was designed, it was done from the ground up.

4. Member
    Spoons are not something I use very often these days. (I did a bit more back in my youth.) However, I did spend several hours one day throwing a 3/4 oz. saltwater spoon on a 7' MHF and 40# braid. Excellent distance (for me). Managed to catch a few flounder. Was tied direct. I will offer this advise. Use something between the line and spoon to help decrease line twist. I tried reversing the braid, but still had to throw it away. I do back my braid with about a half spool of mono.