Thumbs Up Gas smell update

Hi guys. You might recall several weeks ago I posted about gas smell I was getting in the rear compartment and rod lockers after putting 15 gallons of gas in the boat (link to original post here: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=827323). Well, soon after that post, Phoenix is calling me and I'm talking to Jeff Hartung. Apparently someone at the plant saw the post and alerted Jeff. They looked up my name from my post signature and found my number in their records. I was surprised to get the call.

I didn't have a chance at that point to remove the floor panels to take a look at the tank (even went fishing a few times since I first detected a problem), but Jeff told me what to do and look for. He also said that sometimes the aluminum tanks can crack. So, once I did get to checking for the problem, that's apparently what it looks like happened. Hoses and connections all seemed fine. Problem seems to be under the driver's seat. There was fresh gas residue trickling down the very front (short) wall of the tank. Looked like it was coming from the weld. I didn't see a crack nor feel anything rough that would indicate one, but perhaps it was a hairline crack that I couldn't see. What's more, most of the screws that anchor the back of the tank to the rear wall of the compartment had pulled out (some were wedged between the tank and rear wall). I figure that happened simply from travel vibration and/or chop. I think because the tank was "loose," it was probably bouncing a bit and maybe that's what caused a small crack. And/or maybe one of the wedged screws formed a small hole. That I couldn't determine for sure because of the small space in between... made it difficult to see down under them.

Tim Trockenbrot took over the case after I talked with Jeff and he asked me to take some pictures and email them to him, which I did. Next thing I know, Tim calls to say they're having a new tank built for me and it will be sent to my local dealer. The boat is already at Last Chance Performance Marine in Hemet, California (I have an oil leak in the motor that I figure they can work on while they wait for the tank). At this point, it'll probably be another week or so until they get the new tank, but I am writing this update to say I'm absolutely amazed by this level of customer service by Phoenix. I would never have expected that from a boat company (or any other company, for that matter). The fact that they were proactive, and got on this for me very quickly is just class. I can't thank Jeff and Tim enough. Phoenix for life!
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

Best in the biz.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    That's pretty bad azz when they are calling you..........and most of all I'm glad the problem has been found and corrected....could have been a bigger problem with leaking gas.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Phoenix customer service in my opinion can't be beat! Boats are going to have issues. What separates Phoenix is once they are aware of an issue they go above and beyond to make it right!

5. Member
    I purchased my rig in 2011 when Phoenix was really new and rising from the ashes. Jeff Hartung was there at the time as well and helped me resolve some minor issues with great satisfaction. He has helped many others over the years and is mentioned many times on these boards. It is people like him, the people he leads, and the management who empowers their employees to rise to the occasion with customer service, that makes the difference in a very competitive market.

I thank them all for their efforts! Phoenix is the best!

6. Member
    A lot of other companies need to take notice of how diligent and professional Phoenix is with handling product issues. They back their product 100% and do what needs to be done to mitigate issues. One of the best staffs of people in the biz for sure!
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXp w/250 YamahaSHO

7. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    That is an incredible story, and hard to believe, unless... YOU OWN A PHOENIX!!

Jeff and Tim have contacted me over some small issues that most boat companies would consider unimportant.
    They ALWAYS respond to emails and messages left, and have treated me like they've "known" me for years.
    Tim will call me back about something, get it taken care of, and then we'll talk about our trucks & lifts for a short time.
    I can't give them enough praise as individuals and the company as a whole. Very professional, yet personable.
    Absolutely the best. The Best!!

9. Member
    No surprise here. I just got of the phone with Tim myself. New transducer headed my way, as the wrong one was put on my TM. Those guys are honestly the best, and I don't know how they ever sleep with all of the calls and emails. It's really something else, and if they can manage to never change that aspect they'll be a premier boat company for MANY years to come.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186