Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing4fun View Post
    The race to build the cheapest cheapest products from the cheapest components.

I think that used to be called a race to the bottom.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjvana View Post
    That's what happens when one company buys out all the competition, it'll get worse I can see that happening . JMHO.
    You may be right on with that, I hope not

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    you are exactly right.they have run the older skilled workers out because they cant smoke a joint no more on the weekends.we are the ones to blame for the lack luster labor force in this country.enjoy!!!!!!
    What? So it should be perfectly acceptable to use illegal drugs on the weekends?

4. Member
    This talk of pot vs alcohol brings up a memory for me. Now I'm not going to debate the legalities of it (because it is legal in a lot of states sorta... as long as the Feds aren't watching), but it can make one more productive. Just that most folks that use it (well... the ones they show you on TV) tend to be stoned silly and that's the side of things that the morality police will hone in on.

Were I able to get it for my chronic back pain, that I've been on pain management for since 1999, and it DIDN'T make me stoned (and I could ingest rather than smoke it) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Getting back to my story......

For 15 years in my younger life I worked in grocery stores. The last store I worked in I was on the night crew. Just about every morning this guy would come in and buy a big bottle of Listerine. I mean LISTERINE guys.... it's friggin' HORRIBLE. But this guy would buy it on the way to work.

So one day we were all up front waiting to clock out, waiting on the morning cashier to open up.... and here he came. But this time his wife was with him.
    So John was checking him out and I was standing there at the bags when John shoved it down towards me, asking the customer "Sir do you want a bag for that?"

At that point his wife piped up and said: "Hell naw he don't want no (G)damned bag for it, he's gonna DRANK IT!" I mean she was SCREAMING it out loud!

Guys.... there were four of us there and it was all we could do to not fall on the floor laughing!

We didn't see him back there at 6:45 for a couple weeks.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieChicken View Post
    Getting back to my story......

For 15 years in my younger life I worked in grocery stores. The last store I worked in I was on the night crew. Just about every morning this guy would come in and buy a big bottle of Listerine. I mean LISTERINE guys.... it's friggin' HORRIBLE. But this guy would buy it on the way to work.

So one day we were all up front waiting to clock out, waiting on the morning cashier to open up.... and here he came. But this time his wife was with him.
    So John was checking him out and I was standing there at the bags when John shoved it down towards me, asking the customer "Sir do you want a bag for that?"

At that point his wife piped up and said: "Hell naw he don't want no (G)damned bag for it, he's gonna DRANK IT!" I mean she was SCREAMING it out loud!

Guys.... there were four of us there and it was all we could do to not fall on the floor laughing!

We didn't see him back there at 6:45 for a couple weeks.
    Bet his farts didn't stink.

6. Member
    Cheapest parts, cheapest labor, and hurry it up. It's the same thing everywhere. Why pay for the higher grade material when you can use the cheap stuff and charge more for it and why pay the salary a 20 year man deserves when an 18 year old numbnut can (kind of) do the same job for half the wage.

7. Member
    Good QA control in the general scope of things is cheap. The problem is when you start actually doing something about the quality issues and it slows down an already lean workforce and drives up labor costs.
    In the line of work I'm in we have level a,b and c defective scale and all but c get shipped out. We know and track the quality issues...it's just that the general population doesn't care or even notice level A or B.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Then I would say that those who drink are worse and tend to miss work more. Pot does not make you lazy, stupid, prone to mistakes, particularly if you live in a state where it is legal for recreational use. You can pick and choose strains that actually cause you to focus/concentrate MORE. You can also choose strains that relieve pain, and I'd a LOT rather an employee come to work stoned on pot for pain instead of one using opiates.
    Wow! I don't want this guy working for me, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by fishing4fun View Post
    The race to build the cheapest cheapest products from the cheapest components.
    Then you can blame the EPA for the shortfalls of your cheap components

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    OK... thread drift ahead.... but this is something that this fella' knows a bit about.
    Promise to get back on track, just this one post.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Then I would say that those who drink are worse and tend to miss work more. Pot does not make you lazy, stupid, prone to mistakes, particularly if you live in a state where it is legal for recreational use. You can pick and choose strains that actually cause you to focus/concentrate MORE. You can also choose strains that relieve pain, and I'd a LOT rather an employee come to work stoned on pot for pain instead of one using opiates.

I'd say I need empirical evidence of that!

I mean back in our 20's "stupid" was EXACTLY what we used to call it. Lazy isn't a brain artifact, it's built into who someone is.

But I can say I do not agree with you on the opiate statement. I have extensive, chronic, debilitating back pain. From my neck (C5/C6), to my mid back (T7/T8 mostly), to my lumbar spine, (L5, S1, S2, and BOTH SI joints) that I've been fighting most of my life. The thoracic (mid back) stuff started when I was 19, (didn't take narcotics for it till I was in my 40's) with the neck starting in my mid 30's, and low back by the time I was in my 40's. Was disabled at 46, am 60 now.

I've been on pain management since 1999, and I'd challenge anyone to know when I've taken 2~3 pills to get me over a hump. Of course I take less now than I did 2 years ago, (not by choice), but A LOT LESS than I did 5~6 years ago. I decided what I needed, and how often. They gave me enough to put an elephant out FLAT and I just couldn't do it. Hydrocodone, oxycodone.... check. Hydromorphone, oxymorphone.... check. Morphine, check. Fentanyl (50mcg AND 75 mcg) CHECK. Then there's the muscle relaxers (at one time they thought I could take three different ones), check.... but 2 was all I could stand, and only take one 'Soma' and have been on it since I was 19.

Of course there are all the non narcotics, and NSAIDS, and OMG 'mood stabilizers', and even sleeping pills..... don't get me started on that crap.

My point is.....
    If someone has an addictive personality, then they are going to be an addict, period.
    But if they are trying to SURVIVE, they'll walk on broken glass and fire to get by.

I take 3 now, that's it. And if I walk into a place of work I'm there to work and I'd say 99.5% of anyone smoking *most* pot won't be in the same head space as I'll be in.

Don't get me wrong. I've been for legalizing pot forever. That alone could have balanced our budget by now if they'd done it, and taxed it, decades ago.

I also look VERY forward to working with the right strains to relieve pain, that also do NOT make me 'stupid'. I've been there, I've tried it, and even the 'stupid' pot helps with my pain, but it makes me stupid. I don't like stupid. I don't like smoking either, NOT EVEN CLOSE to ever liking that part of it.

FWIW my pain management doc and I had this conversation back before any states had legalized it. I asked him if it could indeed help (because back then the list of what I mentioned above was what they expected me to take) and he said "absolutely, it can help because it works on the same receptors in your brain as what we are prescribing, and it's all natural". So that month I tried to see how I reacted to it. Kept a log, journal so to speak. 3~4 times a day I have to take meds. I keep up with my pain score(s), then take the meds, then the score(s). Tried 'tokes' instead of meds. Tried them with meds. Tried in-between. Kept a log for a week.

Without a doubt I took less meds! Don't know if I was hurting as bad or not. Why? Because I really didn't CARE. I was so stupid at times it just didn't matter.
    The magic number was '4 tokes'. Didn't need more, but less didn't reach that 'stupid' mark. More and I just smelled worse, and got REALLY stupid. Not good.

I look forward to ingestible, MEASURED dosages of given strains for *specific* maladies. Once they get that figured out, AND IT BECOMES LEGAL all over (I expect this Southern Baptist crowd in Georgia to hold out as long as humanly friggin' possible) then I'll be right there, ready for a *cure*. Anything, I say ANYTHING is better than hundreds of manmade narcotic poison pills a month!

But going back to the alcohol. THAT DESTROYS LIVES and everyone knows it. It's a drug, it's an addiction, and it kills people. I owned a towing business for 20 years and have seen up close and personal how alcohol destroys families. The problem with it is nobody knows when to stop.

Like I said, I've taken a LOT of (very strong) narcotics, enough so that a normal 'human' would be either passed out, or DEAD and found that for *me*, with that particular 'bag' it was 4 hits. But most people wouldn't do that, they'd just hit it till it was gone. I'm not saying I'd go crazy and jump off the roof if I hit it 20 times, just that for me that's NOT what I'm looking to achieve. I'm looking for pain management that gets me through the day. That lets me walk from room to room. To get up off the sofa without wincing in pain and making weird noises. To not have intestinal trouble (stomach ulcer that acts up). Headaches, neck pain, back pain, groin, leg, and foot pain.

So yeah..... they have a long way to go. But show me something that works and I'm on board if it'll help.

With POT there is no accurate way to *dispense it*. Much less any real way to know from one person to another the correct dosage. Kids (even grownups) now are (for instance) getting ahold of gummy bears and think that because it's candy they can eat the whole bag.
    Next thing they know they're hiding in the carpet.

THAT is what/why the industry still has that stigma (and will have for a long time).

And it makes even ME, get VERY stupid. (In a good way yes.... but stuuuuuupid none-the-less.)

You could tell from 15' away when I walked in that I was 'stupid', but you'd never know if I was on my normal (as you say stoned on opiates) meds.
    Last edited by DixieChicken; 08-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Quality Control doesn't build boats. Boats are built to engineering specifications. Quality Assurance is supposed to see if these specifications are met. Quality Assurance is supposed to prevent defects, you can't inspect quality into a fiberglass hull if it is warped once it has cured, if manufacturing and MANAGEMENT says to accept it, QA has no choice. Either that or find another job. In some plants there is a Material Review Board where parts that do not make specification are sent. The results of that Board can be "use as is", repair, or trash. Manufacturers do not like the trash decision. Customers do not sit on that board, and have no input on the decision. They just don't buy the product again if they're pissed off enough.
    Yep, it starts at the top.

We want a boat built that does this, this and this and we want to sell them at this unit cost.

Then the engineers go about designing said boats to meet that price point. And they'll compromise where needed to meet that goal.

When you hear about recalls it's rarely about a screw that wasn't installed right or a mis-alignment of something done on the assembly line, it's almost always a part poorly engineered that fails or a part from an aftermarket manufacturer that wasn't suitable for the task it was supposed to do.

Poor quality assembly would be the easiest to spot with QC. It's the failures that occur due to engineering that aren't so visible until the customer takes possession of the product.

12. Member
    It's one of the reasons many of us buy the custom built boats like Allison, Bullet, Stroker, etc. You don't have these kind of issues.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    It's one of the reasons many of us buy the custom built boats like Allison, Bullet, Stroker, etc. You don't have these kind of issues.
    You're saying these aren't built on an assembly line?

Bill

I have not had any problems with my Bass Cats or Bullet.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I guess they are assembly line boats.

Bill

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    What do you expect for ONLY $70,000
    That's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries 181 View Post
    You're saying these aren't built on an assembly line?

Bill
    Correct...they're not.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries 181 View Post
    I guess they are assembly line boats.

Bill
    They are not assembly line boats. For instance,
    time in a mold reduces any warpage, Strokers spend usually 2 weeks or more in a mold. The assembly line boats are lucky if they get 24 hours in a mold. Just site down any new boat. You will see waves in the finish of most boats. Allison, Bullet, Stroker, look like a show car in finish, almost perfect hulls. And they can handle 16+ inches of setback without any issues. The assembly line boats won't even warranty their boats with that much set back. Too much stress for them.

Just my opinion from real world experience, I ran a Bullet pretty hard for 5 years...loved the boat..but it was far from free of issues. They all can have issues...

None are free from issues ....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast