Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SI....looking under docks

I really like to crappie fish, best fish in the lake for frying IMO, and shooting docks is a mainstay on my lake. Has anyone had success with using Side Imaging to locate fish under docks? I've just started trying it and so far haven't had much luck. I think it may be my settings. If anyone does this please share with me the process. How close to the dock, SI range, only right or left side, etc....This would save so much time if it was possible to get really good images by just driving by and checking out a long line of docks.

2. Banned
    When Humminbird first came out with sideimaging I thought that was what it was for.
    Ya I was clueless

I use a "tilted" LSS-2 for looking under docks..I also have one mounted the regular way for 2D, SI/DI.. Works great & I can select the tilted transducer on any of my 3 units, bow or console..

When using the tilted TD, I look with the DI beam..

You could try the same with Garmin transducers.

One of my fishing partners does the same with his HB units..
    Last edited by DonnieG; 08-12-2017 at 08:02 AM.

4. Banned
    Do you use a certain angle, or change it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Do you use a certain angle, or change it up?
    Change tilt angle with different depths. My fishing partner can change his angle from the console with a lever apparatus that he made.

6. Banned
    Ok he needs to make one of those for me asap

Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Ok he needs to make one of those for me asap
    I'm first in line..

8. Banned
    I usually just idle by maybe 15 off the side of the dock, seems to work fairly well but I'm targeting suspended bass, 20 or so feet deep.

9. Member
    I don't think anything would do as good as Panoptix for looking under docks. You can see the dock and it's on the surface and see under it all the way to the bottom. You are not limited by adjusting a tight cone so that the dock don't block your view. What more would you want?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I don't think anything would do as good as Panoptix for looking under docks. You can see the dock and it's on the surface and see under it all the way to the bottom. You are not limited by adjusting a tight cone so that the dock don't block your view. What more would you want?
    With a 35' dock in length to the bank in 20 FOW, how far under the dock can you see? All the way to the bank?

I never had the success with my PS-30 & PS-21 combo that I have with my tilted LSS-2..Maybe I was just an amateur with the Panoptix.

11. Member
    I havent had that much luck seeing "under" docks with my PS21. It kind of sort of almost works. I think that a narrow side to side cone angle is going to be important here and mine is the wide version.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    With a 35' dock in length to the bank in 20 FOW, how far under the dock can you see? All the way to the bank?

I never had the success with my PS-30 & PS-21 combo that I have with my tilted LSS-2..Maybe I was just an amateur with the Panoptix.
    Not a chance. I'm the amateur when it comes to docks. I've only looked under some floating houses a couple of times and once did see fish I thought were crappie. I couldn't think of any way to fish for them. My comments were pure speculation. You're speaking from experience.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Not a chance. I'm the amateur when it comes to docks. I've only looked under some floating houses a couple of times and once did see fish I thought were crappie. I couldn't think of any way to fish for them. My comments were pure speculation. You're speaking from experience.
    Leonard, it is called dock shooting....Been doing it a long time.

Dock shooting & open water brush is what I do.

14. Member
    I HAVE 859 DI THAT I CAN TILT FROM CONSOLE AND CAN RIDE BY A DOCK AND COUNT THE FISH AND TELL IF THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO STOP AND FISH,ALSO USE MY 1199 AND JUST SET IT ON ONE SIDE AND AT 30 T0 40 FEET,IF FISH ARE DEEP SI IS BETTER ,IF UP HIGHER OR FAR ENOUGH BACK TO BE OUT OF WATER COLUMN THAN SLANTED DI IS BETTER,BUT IF THEY ARE OUT OF WATER COLUMN AND CLOSE TO BOTTOM THE SI WILL SHOW A GOOD SHALDOW.YOU CAN SEE BOAT LIFT AND FLOATING BOXES THAT HOLDS UP DOCKS AND CAN COUNT THEM AND TELL WHERE THE FISH ARE AT UNDER THE DOCK.I RUN ABOUT 3 MPH BY THE DOCKS AS CLOSE AS CAN AND IF MANY DOCKS I RUN MOST OF THEM AT ONE TIME PICTURING WHICH DOCKS TO COME BACK TO UNLESS I SEE SOME ONE ELSE GETTING READY TO FISH DOCKS,THEN I STOP ON FIRST GOOD ONE.HOPE THIS HELPS.DONNIE WILL BE DOWN SEPTEMBER -OCT AND WE WILL BE FISHING SOME TOGETHER,IF YOU LIKE WILL TAKE PIC UNDER DOCKS AND ALSO MY SLANTED DUCER AND LEAVER

15. Member
    It would be very cool to see some pics of the setup and the screen shots.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    It would be very cool to see some pics of the setup and the screen shots.
    Ive seen one, and it's impressive

17. Member
    Here is a couple of crappie under a floating dock. Solix 15 shot, but the idea is the same.

Attached Images Attached Images

Was there a boat between the two outside floats?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Was there a boat between the two outside floats?
    Yes there was.

[QUOTE=wfb0002;8676954]Yes there was.[/QUOTE

I thought so. Nice image....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast