1986 blackmax oil ratio

Got 1986 blackmax 150... How do u know if I'm mixing to rich.. I've got alot of smoke until hot then stops some but still smokes good bit.... Mixing 50 :1.. Should I back off a little.. I Know smoking is good but seems more excessive then other 2 strokes.. Using the quiz silver Marine oil, the cheaper one.. Maybe I should try another oil? thoughts??
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

2. Member
    Don't back off on the oil mix ratio! The 50:1 ratio is what is required to lubricate these engines properly in the higher rpm ranges. It is somewhat the nature of these engines to smoke when idling, also the Quick Silver (Mercury) Premium Plus oil has a tendency to smoke a little more. Check your cylinder bleed lines & check valves to make sure they are not clogged and are operating properly. Clogged lines & faulty valves will cause excessive smoking in these engines. Also make sure your thermostats are functioning correctly in order to reach proper engine operating temperature. These engines not reaching the proper operating temps will cause them to smoke more & foul the spark plugs too. Are you running a fresh set of the recommended NGK BU8H spark plugs?

3. Member
    I changed plugs this spring... I will check which plugs.. I can tell you how to build a house but I'm a little off on mechanics, I can do simple stuff.. How would you check valves as clean them if they are clogged.. Are we talking like running a can of seafoam their the farm and blowing out the cylinder holes or we talking more detailed stuff?

4. Member
    Checking the "check valves" is not difficult. Looking at the outside of the engine, you will see small diameter rubber hoses running from a fitting at the base of each cylinder to the corresponding "check valve" located under the carburetors on the reed block/intake manifold. Check the rubber hoses for cracks, cuts, or general deterioration. Replace them if bad. The "check valves" are threaded into the reed block/intake manifold. Gently remove them one at a time to inspect. If working properly, air can be drawn through the "check valve" in one direction only. If air passes in both directions, or not at all, it needs to be replaced. When the "check valve" is out, also check the opening it threads into to make sure it is not clogged. I was able to get a stuck "check valve" (one that air would not pass through) working on my engine by soaking it in Sea Foam for a few minutes. When reinstalling the check valves, make sure they are threaded in tight, but don't over tighten! They strip easily. Also make sure the rubber bleed lines are reinstalled and routed EXACTLY as they were originally!!!

5. Member
    If you are going much over 6K often use 40:1. I use Pennzoil. Cheaper and not much smoke.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

6. Member
    I will have to look at them this week.. Sounds like something I can do... Lol.. May try to Pennzoil..

Has it always smoked that much or has it recently started?
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

8. Member
    Pennzoil premium plus, smokes less than the Mercury oil and cylinders look cleaner after running.

50:1 if staying under 6k, 6-7600ish 40:1 after that 32:1

9. Member
    Yes.. It always smoked bad.. I have always used quicksilver oil too.. I think I'm gonna switch to Pennzoil.. I don't mind it smoking, but kinda embarrassing when you have chicks in bikinis all around and you look like you got cheach and Chong on your boat... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by msn26753 View Post
    Yes.. It always smoked bad.. I have always used quicksilver oil too.. I think I'm gonna switch to Pennzoil.. I don't mind it smoking, but kinda embarrassing when you have chicks in bikinis all around and you look like you got cheach and Chong on your boat... Lol
    What if...

chicks in bikinis are there because Cheech and Chong are on your boat

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    1995 merc 135 i use 50:1 premix and it smokes when i start it and i have changed all my bleeders, i have used penzoil xlf it smokes less and have used quicksilver oil...i look at it this way...if it's smokes it's getting oil which to me is a good thing..happy boating..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

12. Member
    50:1 I do believe