Thread: School me....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    Not a single penny I paid in dues went to any candidate.
    You might not have known about it but, I promise your dues did.

Read this
    https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Oklahoma is a right to work state, the Unions would play heck getting any kind of judgement on that issue. Their bylaws are not always legally binding and I doubt they would spend the money to press that issue.
    All I know is a brother I was in the Union with was sued by local for working non-union. What got me about the situation was he was welding fences on the weekends jobs our local would never bid on.

3. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    You might not have known about it but, I promise your dues did.

Read this
    https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php
    read this...
    My employer paid a check-off for each hour I worked and some of that money was used for political purposes. As I said in my above post, not one cent of the membership dues I have paid, went to a political candidate.

Dale Sinclair original

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    read this...
    My employer paid a check-off for each hour I worked and some of that money was used for political purposes. As I said in my above post, not one cent of the membership dues I have paid, went to a political candidate.
    And your local sheet metal works union paid into what national?

5. Banned
    Anyway way off track....to the OP just do some research and decide. As you can tell Union/non-union is like Ford vs. Chevy both sides always feel they are right. And as long as they are happy they are.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlarcher View Post
    I to have been doing everything in my power to join a union. NOT because I want easy work. But because I've been in this career since 1998 and I can tell you what all I've lost since 2008. Health insurance, sick days, personal days, vacation days, weekends, clearing 40 hours bonus. So yeah I'm definitely looking for something where I'm backed a little more than I am now. I know the politics of it but it seems the outcome is exactly the same for the worker no matter what side is in office. I can tell you 1 thing this past month I found out the GOP has been lying to me for the past couple election cycles!!!! So who cares anymore.
    Don't fool yourself brother. The Unions gave up all of that also when things got bad. There are NO guarantees the Union will have your back. Our UAW is weak. They have no fight anymore and the people on top are in bed with the company. The grass isn't always greener

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine Concepts View Post
    Don't fool yourself brother. The Unions gave up all of that also when things got bad. There are NO guarantees the Union will have your back. Our UAW is weak. They have no fight anymore and the people on top are in bed with the company. The grass isn't always greener
    I've been a union guy for most of my working life. I have heard this statement hundreds of times. If your local is that bad all you need to do is vote them out at the next elections. Step up and take office as a steward and get it back on the right tract. You might be surprised to find out that they were not in bed with mgt. Any good steward or BA will have a good relationship with mgt. Grievances are settled a lot easier that way.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Been a union pipe welder for 25 years. Never been laid off. Never drawn unemployment, and I've never known any really good welders being unemployed unless they choose to be. Where I'm from, if you can't shoot less than 3% X-ray reject on all materials your not going to last long let alone be considered a very good welder. That's all materials and all position. Not sure what local your buddy was affiliated with but if he was a UA member, he could have welded anything he wanted on his time as long as it wasn't mechanical piping. As far as how to vote, never once been told how to vote and I'd say the majority of our local votes conservative. No part of my dues goes to political funding. We have a P.A.C fund that's a .05 an hour for that of which you have an option to do or not. The biggest difference in union vs non-union in my opinion is the training. We train our guys very well. We do not tolerate lazy or poor craftsmanship. I can't speak for every local, just my own. We are brothers, but we also demand doing things right. We will not cover for piss poor effort or piss poor work. We teach and adhere to 8 hours pay for 8 hours work. No more No less.

9. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    The reason unions are considered to support the Democrat party is because they do with their political donations. You have no say in who your dues support.
    Wrong.
    Last edited by billspence; 08-12-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Again

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Union member most of my working life. I'm a conservative independant...no affliation to any party. We have a PAC that is separate from normal assesments, is bipartisan, and completely voluntary for contributions. I give to the PAC. I feel that my career is benefited by having a voice on Capitol Hill. My industry is heavliy government regulated.
    Last edited by dean c; 08-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.

The BBC way ...

Pile the hate on these union workers ...

Worship these union members, buy their jerseys and sniff their jocks.

Ranting incoherently

12. Banned
    The politics of unions was very simple.
    The Republican party (generally) supports free market, and the quest for company profits. If this means making it easier to lower wages, benefits, or moving production to a different state or country, then so be it. This is supported by making laws such as right-to-work, free trade agreements, etc.
    The Democratic Party (generally) tried to avoid or would change laws that may be perceived as tough on the worker, such as right-to-work, and laws that make it harder to certify a union. Which is why the unions generally throw their support behind the Dem party.
    I'm not commenting that one approach is better than the other, I'm just stating that's what's behind the support for the Dem party.

"There's guys that are in the union and guys that need the union" ...

Just my observation after being in several unions over a 25 year time span. In my experience, skilled trades are generally more pro business and understand the business aspect of things - in other words we "get it" in respect to understanding that if the business fails, nobody gets paid and everyone loses. Skilled trades generally are more conservative leaning (not written in stone, just my take on things after several decades) and are not looking for a handout. The only thing we exploit is we have a skill set that most do not, so we parlay that into the compensation packages we negotiate. Happens every day in the business world.

Unskilled, on the other hand, are more likely to represent the bad side of unionism and are the ones more likely to be exploited by unscrupulous union leadership and politicians. The ignorant being "tricked by lights and shiny things" by those looking to profit from their ignorance. Sound familiar ? ...

Look beneath the surface to see what's really going on
    Ranting incoherently

In one of the union shops I worked, the shop steward spelled it "stewart". WTF? That was Machinist's Local 79. #Embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    "There's guys that are in the union and guys that need the union" ...

Just my observation after being in several unions over a 25 year time span. In my experience, skilled trades are generally more pro business and understand the business aspect of things - in other words we "get it" in respect to understanding that if the business fails, nobody gets paid and everyone loses. Skilled trades generally are more conservative leaning (not written in stone, just my take on things after several decades) and are not looking for a handout. The only thing we exploit is we have a skill set that most do not, so we parlay that into the compensation packages we negotiate. Happens every day in the business world.

Unskilled, on the other hand, are more likely to represent the bad side of unionism and are the ones more likely to be exploited by unscrupulous union leadership and politicians. The ignorant being "tricked by lights and shiny things" by those looking to profit from their ignorance. Sound familiar ? ...

Look beneath the surface to see what's really going on
    I will agree with this 100% I wish unions could control the issues that give them a bad light. The issues I have is you cant do this a laborer has to do this or you cant do that so and so has to do it. People getting fined for not waiting around for a laborer to move cabinets for them of anything like that is BS.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Unions mostly Democrats? Or is it because I live in a Democratic state that when I get the "join a union bug" and When I start reading everything they seem to attack Republicans. Makes it tough to want to join but knowing my body @42 is not going to last much longer in the fast paced field. Wiring 2-3 houses a week non stop is bring back a lot of pains...starting to look at a slower pace option and definitely not going backward in salary.
    I have it pretty easy with current employer. 2017 nissan van,any days off needed,not breathing down my neck, start and end days whenever I want. ....What the union offers will be a phone call but obviously we know the biggest couple reasons.
    Sounds like you answered your own question.......
    Question everything!

17. Member
    If you want to ride it out and lay back till retirement, join a union. That's what they do here. That's all I'm going to say

18. Member
    Been the chief steward in a ufcw local for 20 years. Never voted Democrat and don't plan to. If you work for a company like I do it is a necessity. Doesn't change the work load for any of us. As far as I'm concerned, out contract could written on one page. Seniority, benefits, retirement. None would exist without our union.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    If you want to ride it out and lay back till retirement, join a union. That's what they do here. That's all I'm going to say
    Maybe the people you know that do this----- should join the Teamster's. Paid by the mile. They don't put the miles in---- they don't make any money. Maybe every job classification should follow suit, paid by the workers accomplishments not by punching a clock------- That's all I'm going to say.

I was a union Rep and I am a Republican + I voted for who I thought was best to run the country not who the Union thought was. I didn't always agree with what the union wanted to do or didn't, I also was against, people that are in the unions thinking they cant be fired , some of the best workers I have seen were in first 90 trial period after that most weren't worth S...T. and have been told that you can't say that because he or she is Brother. I also blame the companies for that, as they are afraid to evaluate their people, because they are afraid of what the unions might say or do. If they would make a log of all the violations that a non performing employee makes, I backed the Employer, if they didn't like it then file a grievance . I have belonged to the Teamsters, Bartenders union and The IAM which I retired from. Also most big Companies as in my case Aero Space that are looking at getting Government Contract are or pretty much have to be Union.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast