Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loose Bolts and Nuts on a Fairly New Boat

I learned a lesson. On my last fishing trip a few days ago, my 10' Talon got stuck and rotated to the side on me. I got it unstuck. Today, I got out my torque wrench and checked all the bolts and nuts on the Talons. They were all loose on both Talons and the brackets. This boat is a RT188C and less than 10 months old. I fixed the Talons and then checked the bolts and nuts that hold the jackplate to the boat and the motor to the jackplate. They were also ALL loose. I torqued them down and will periodical check them like I should. It just never occurred to me that a new boat would have it's bolts and nuts all loosened so quick. Lesson learned. I am curious whether they really loosen that quick or did the dealer not get them torqued correctly?

Everyone else better check yours too. Just sayin

2. Member
    If they did not use locknuts or lock washers I would not doubt that would happen over time. Always a good idea to use the weaker loctite assembling semipermanent equipment.

3. Member
    They used locknuts but not any lock washers. I also didn't see any trace of loctite.

Do yours self a favor. And get some lock washers to. I switched to this years ago. And when I check them at the end of the season. I never find one out of torque. That's on the jackplates.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    I just put 4 lock washers on my winch post. My boat kept moving back on my trailer since new. Last time out, I moved it back.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

6. Member
    Whenever I bring this up I get weird looks at the least or people just think I'm being foolish on the other extreme, but here it goes and you can look it up online. There are many physics, engineering, and bolt fastening sites that prove it. Split lockwashers, the kind we normally use, DO NOT work. It is a myth. We add lockwashers because we've always added lockwashers. That's the only reason.

NASA even disallowed their use during the Apollo space program. They actually make the situation worse. Here's a link to a new type of lockwasher test that proves it for you skeptics. Just one of many out there.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Are lock washers easily found at the big box stores or do you have to buy at Fastenal or similar?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    Very interesting video

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Are lock washers easily found at the big box stores or do you have to buy at Fastenal or similar?
    Yes
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    The one's at the box stores are junk stainless. You want 316 for your application. Fastenal will make you buy them 100 at a time. Buy them from Mcmaster Carr online.

Also, engine mounting bolts are torqued much lower than you'd expect. 40foot pounds is about it. They should stay torqued however. I wonder if you have course thread bolts and not fine thread.

11. Member
    When you say loose bolts. Are you checking with a torque wrench or just yanking on them?
    Semper Fi

Nyloc nuts are the only way to go. I never use lock washers anymore. Its cleaner faster and less hardware to deal with. I have never seen a nyloc washer back off. If you want to be extra sure add some blue loctite on them. Another thing. Be careful when you tighten or check motor mounting bolts through the transom that you dont turn the bolt shank and break the silicone seal or it will leak.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    The one's at the box stores are junk stainless. You want 316 for your application. Fastenal will make you buy them 100 at a time. Buy them from Mcmaster Carr online.

Also, engine mounting bolts are torqued much lower than you'd expect. 40foot pounds is about it. They should stay torqued however. I wonder if you have course thread bolts and not fine thread.
    Not sure about other brands but 55 lbs/ft on mercury engines through the transom and 95 lbs/ft on the jack plate to engine side if one is used.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Not sure about other brands but 55 lbs/ft on mercury engines through the transom and 95 lbs/ft on the jack plate to engine side if one is used.
    Yamaha is 40#. 55 is still a lot less than most people would think.

15. Member
    With a large ratchet or breaker bar 55 pounds does not even feel guduntight

Anytime I acquire a new toy or vehicle I go over the entire boat. Including the trailer bunks, lugs, and any but or bolt. Especially if you're a tournament fisherman.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Nyloc nuts are the only way to go. I never use lock washers anymore. Its cleaner faster and less hardware to deal with. I have never seen a nyloc washer back off. If you want to be extra sure add some blue loctite on them. Another thing. Be careful when you tighten or check motor mounting bolts through the transom that you dont turn the bolt shank and break the silicone seal or it will leak.
    Never would have given a second thought to tightening the bolts. Thanks

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    With a large ratchet or breaker bar 55 pounds does not even feel guduntight
    Exactly why I mentioned it. Very easy to over tighten engine mounting bolts and cause transom damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    Whenever I bring this up I get weird looks at the least or people just think I'm being foolish on the other extreme, but here it goes and you can look it up online. There are many physics, engineering, and bolt fastening sites that prove it. Split lockwashers, the kind we normally use, DO NOT work. It is a myth. We add lockwashers because we've always added lockwashers. That's the only reason.

NASA even disallowed their use during the Apollo space program. They actually make the situation worse. Here's a link to a new type of lockwasher test that proves it for you skeptics. Just one of many out there.
    Where can those locking washers be purchased?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    You guys got me a bit worried. I used my torque wrench on all the bolts including the ones that tie the jack plate to the transom and also the motor to the jackplate. I hope I didn't turn the bolt enough to cause a leak. I didn't think of that when I was doing it. I torqued all the 1/2" bolts to 50lbs and the 3/8" bolts to 40lbs torque using my torque wrench. They were definitely all loose compared to what I torqued them to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast