Trailer Breakaway Cable on a RT188

I did a dumb thing. Was at the lake home and wanted to go out for dinner so I had to unhook the trailer. I have done it many times before. This time I unhooked everything except the breakaway cable for the brakes. I know, dumb. I started off with the truck and heard what sounded like a 22 rifle shot. I got out and looked and I had left the breakaway cable for the trailer brakes still hooked up and it popped. I thought the trailer brakes would lock up or something but they didn't. Nothing happened but got a broke cable. The truck could still pull the boat trailer forward and backwards. There is a boat repair place not too far down the street so I went directly there. It was no more than 4 miles. When I got there I got out and felt the wheel and tires to make sure they were not getting too hot. They were not. I went in and asked them to replace the cable. The mechanic told me to not even worry about it. He said he had broke his two years ago and never replaced it. I guess he telling the truth or didn't want the business. So my questions are what does this breakaway cable do? Obviously nothing. Should I replace it or not even worry about it like the mechanic said? I drove the boat all the way home, about 100 miles. I have not seen any difference.

2. Member
    Ripped mine off of my glass rig before, didn't make a difference, don't think I replaced/fixed it....

My boats I had with this system. Worked when the trailer comes unhooked. Then the cable pulls on the valve that will lock the brakes. But as you found out. In any kind of a accident at speed, that little cable will break. And not do squat. So you can fix it. I would just because it would drive me nuts, for something not to be in working order. But in reality it won't make a difference If you do fix it.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I would definitely have the cable replaced and make sure that it is working correctly. It may break or fail to do its job if the trailer comes off the ball. But, I can guarantee you one thing...if you fail to repair it and the trailer comes off the ball and causes an injury to someone, a 1st year law student could get a slam dunk judgement against you. There may be a clause in your liability insurance about doing proper maintenance. If so, your insurance company may not cover you when you need them the most. And, if you should cause an injury to someone because you failed to repair the brake cable, can you live with that on your conscience? Get if fixed!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Does the cable need to be larger or something to actually pull the mechanism effectively?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

My RT does not have the brake accessory so what I post may be different....BUT the last Ranger I had used a cable system with a little half moon washer that released a spring and piston that set the hydraulic brakes and locked them in case of a breakaway situation. I don't have the boat anymore and I believe it was a different brand but worked very much like the link below. The new ones may be different but the little washer is a sacrifice part and I had to reset mine and replace it a few times. Pulling the cable does not actually set the brake....pulling the cable releases the spring and piston held by the washer which breaks and sets the brake.

----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA