Thread: 200vt Shadow

200vt Shadow

I'm running a 200 Merc w/ 28p chopper and 6 inch jack plate. I cant seem to get any lift and boat plows bad, still haven't reached 60mph. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Anyone???

Wot RPM's, PTP height? A 28" prop sounds awfully big for a 200.

4. Member
    That boat is only 1000 lbs. Prob could turn a 28. Is the prop in good shape? Have you tried another prop?
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

5. Member
    Wot I'm turning 5700rpm ptp is flush and still has a great holeshot

6. Member
    Is it a big ear or small ear chopper? Is it a stock chopper or does it have the bullet cut? Speed is way low for 5700 RPMs. Choppers usually run best with the bullet cut and lots of cupping, and have a lot of bow lift. If your tach and GPS are reading right, I suspect your prop.

7. Member
    It's a big ear chopper

8. Member
    Unless you have a low water p/u where you can run above the pad you are not going to get big numbers. More set back would help also. I would at least a 10" but 12" would be better.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

9. Member
    What year 200 Merc? Assuming an older 2.4 200? Ours prefers a 26 over a 28 bc cut chopper. But my chopper has a lot of work, it's more like a 29.5 than a 28.

We are 10" back and 1/2" above pad, jackplate is maxed out still needs to come up some more , we are right at 80mph with it loaded to fish, it has more in it we are still messing with it.

2.4 200, 32cc one piece heads ccms reeds, coned 200 1.87 case.

If I recall correctly, the Shadow is a V-Tunnel boat hence the 200vt designation
    V-tunnels don't bow lift a whole lot they are a flat riding boat with the tunnel causing stern lift not bow lift
    They are fast hulls but they will beat you to death with a rough ride as they suck down to the wave

One more thing to be aware of
    you can catch a sponson and cause the boat to spin
    Scariest moment I ever had in a boat was when I was driving my Stratos 375VT and did just that
    Causing the boat to spin and I was almost thrown out of the boat
    it could have easily flipped
    my back was messed up for a week
    I traded it shortly after that

Also those boats had a history of transom failures
    Keep a close eye on yours
    Last edited by AreTheyBiting; 08-16-2017 at 05:22 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

11. Member
    Yes they are tunnel v "mod vp" style bottom boats, but heavier than say a mirage race boat. Still need a prop with good bow lift to get them up and flying right. Chopper style props with a "Bullet" style cut to them work better for us than cleaver style.

With more horsepower and completely empty no troller etc a cleaver MIGHT do better but not ready to fish with a 2.4 on it.

12. Member
    My 91 200Vt ran 78-79 with a 28" chopper on a Yamaha Excel even with the pad but I had 14" of setback. May try lowering the motor a little to get more lift.

13. Member
    Without adding more jack plate what can I expect to get out of this boat. I've ran props from a 23-28p and seems to all run low to mid 50's gps. I've ran as high as flush with the pad to as low as 3 inches below

14. Member
    You might check and make sure it is not water logged. Mine had 500# of water and rot in it when I took it apart.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Srx chopper is best runners i ever used 27 and 29 with a dah BnB. They run 90's all day with a bridgeport and/or a 260. I only ran 1.87 coned cle and sportys on mine, woulda loved to try my 1.75's Even a 200 should bust 70. Theres a few in SC runnin' 100 and change

The mazco re4 26/28 was an awesome prop too

Quote Originally Posted by AreTheyBiting View Post
    If I recall correctly, the Shadow is a V-Tunnel boat hence the 200vt designation
    V-tunnels don't bow lift a whole lot they are a flat riding boat with the tunnel causing stern lift not bow lift
    They are fast hulls but they will beat you to death with a rough ride as they suck down to the wave

One more thing to be aware of
    you can catch a sponson and cause the boat to spin
    Scariest moment I ever had in a boat was when I was driving my Stratos 375VT and did just that
    Causing the boat to spin and I was almost thrown out of the boat
    it could have easily flipped
    my back was messed up for a week
    I traded it shortly after that

Also those boats had a history of transom failures
    Keep a close eye on yours
    Obviuosly a bad setup, a shadow's sponsons are out of the water with the right power 12-14" setback you need high motor height but control the flight with negative trim, they glide around corners at speed on pad,with trim and gas,you let the bow down yer gettin wet.

Quote Originally Posted by SethM View Post
    Without adding more jack plate what can I expect to get out of this boat. I've ran props from a 23-28p and seems to all run low to mid 50's gps. I've ran as high as flush with the pad to as low as 3 inches below
    You cant expect much without at least a 6700 rpm limiter 12" setback and even with the pad.mine all ran best with a 2.4 bport i enjoyed it more than my xb03 for fishin',easier to drive, i never got beat up any worse than the avg guy.but i ran outta time to fix busted transoms and sold em. Too bad they never had dual or center consoles