Trolling Motor Issue

I continue to have battery issues. I have a 36V system that with a full charge by midday I have very little juice left. Talked with Dual Pro if all lights are green it is not the charger. All lights are green! Checked battery voltage average reading on all batteries is 13.6V. Could there be an issue with the Minn Kota? All three interstate batteries are 5 months old. System worked great until the last two weeks. Any ideas?

mich007

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    have you checked the water level in the batteries?

One bad cell will screw up the whole setup.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    After the charger shows full charge, unplug it and let everything sit overnight. Then measure at the batteries for an accurate reading. All should be very close to 12.65V. If that is good, hit the lake and then measure the voltage on each battery when you notice performance dropping. If one drops more than the others it indicates an issue with that battery.

What size are the batteries and how often do you fish?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member

Battery Issue

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    After the charger shows full charge, unplug it and let everything sit overnight. Then measure at the batteries for an accurate reading. All should be very close to 12.65V. If that is good, hit the lake and then measure the voltage on each battery when you notice performance dropping. If one drops more than the others it indicates an issue with that battery.

What size are the batteries and how often do you fish?
    I fish 2-3 times a week. These are interstate 31 series batteries. I will hit the water on Tuesday and do as you suggested. Running the motor in the garage did not effect the batteries at all. I need to test the load in the water.

mich007

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    AGMs?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Are you fishing in current or strong winds and/or making long runs at full power a lot? Its also possible your just using up all the available juice.

Another possibility is a bad connection somewhere. That can cause excess voltage drop and an apparent loss of power.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

7. Member
    This I what I do when this happens I will load test the 3 battery's and the one that drops off the most is the bad battery.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by br5499 View Post
    This I what I do when this happens I will load test the 3 battery's and the one that drops off the most is the bad battery.
    You don't have to load test after running the trolling motor. You, in effect, have already load tested all three in series by running the trolling motor until the problem happens. At that point, a voltage reading of each individual battery (as Catfan said) will tell you if one is bad. The one more deeply discharged is going to be a bad battery. If none are deeply discharged, it's time to start checking connections. There is nothing in the trolling motor components to cause this type of recurring problem, however bad connections at the control board, or bad connections in the head would cause it to quit -- but it would get worse as time goes on.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]