Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bassmaster Elite - size of their poles

I'm in the market for either a Talon or Power pole setup for my Skeeter and have been all over the map - Talon vs PP; 8' vs 10' vs 12' on and on. Size wise the 12' probably makes the most sense in my Northeast Lakes. However, I much prefer the look, weight and performance engineering of the PP. But I HATE how far the 10' PP sticks above the motor - 2 pop sickle sticks in the back. And, as my son says the Talon is too fat and ugly! Not to mention the weight gain! Yes, I am still referring to shallow water anchors! But I digress....

So I'm watching a recording last night of an elite tournament and noticed how many of them only have 8' PP?! So I don't get it? I fish in 1000 to 2000 thousand acre lakes (and smaller). These guys fish in 50,000 to 100,000 acre lakes! So they fish the same depths as me or deeper.

I get most of them have PP because of sponsorship but why isn't everybody running 10'? And if your paycheck depends on landing a winning bag - why wouldn't they all want to go with a 15' Talon even if they can't get that sponsorship? I haven't seen ANY top elite with Talons at all.......

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Shoot us a Pm or give us a call and I would be happy to go over ALL of your questions, as well as give you some pricing as we have some of the lowest pricing on Power Poles in the country.

3. Member
    There are plenty of pros use talons.
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

I only fish for bass in 8' and less. Why would I want 15' talon? I had a 12' talon and it was great. I now have two 10' blades and there good. Some pros use 10' blades most use 8' cause that's sufficient for them plus they look better. 8' tallons look awesome as well. 10' is probally perfect and few anglers fish slow enough in 14' of water to want to lock down with an anchor. Some will. Some will deal with the extra weight others choose not to. PRETTY MUCH COME TO THIS I drive a diesel truck it costs more for oil changes, but it's better for me than your gas truck...... each situation has a pro con list.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Z21 Tom View Post
    There are plenty of pros use talons.
    I believe it was 4 of 109 elites had Talons.

6. Member
    Q the talon hate.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Facts are Facts.. not talon hate, we do not hate Talons or Minn Kota, Own an ultrex as well as sell there line of trolling motors.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 08-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.

8. Member
    As to the original op...I believe the ultrex has taken the place of needing deeper shallow water anchors. I know if I could only buy one it be a ultrex, but most of the year I fish deeper water. That being said I have a 12' talon and it is very useful.

Also if you are stating facts k and k you might want to go count again and use both hands this time. Both anchors have problems any mechanical device does.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Oh yes your so right.. my bad.. wanna get my facts correct so recounted just for you and I used both hands this time and came up with 8 out of 104.. so since were stating FACT thats approx 92 percent of the elites running powerpole and 8 percent running Talons. Again nothing wrong with either product just stating facts..

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    As to the original op...I believe the ultrex has taken the place of needing deeper shallow water anchors.
    That was my thought too. Two different things, two different applications. Get an 8' setup for shallow water and where they leave off (too deep), the Ultrex takes it from there.

11. Member
    I have used both the Talon and the PP. Originally went with Talons. Lost 3 mph and affected boat performance on an Xpress 21. So on my new boat went with 8' PP. Could not be happier. Did not have any problems with the Talons but noisier and look bad. Also, would not fully deploy in soft mode. Boils down to epersonal preference but I am now a PP believer and not sponsored jn any any.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    I have used both the Talon and the PP. Originally went with Talons. Lost 3 mph and affected boat performance on an Xpress 21. So on my new boat went with 8' PP. Could not be happier. Did not have any problems with the Talons but noisier and look bad. Also, would not fully deploy in soft mode. Boils down to epersonal preference but I am now a PP believer and not sponsored jn any any.

13. Member
    But the real question is why are they running 8' when they can get 10' for free? Doesn't make sense to me either.

14. Member
    And if not free, the extra 2 feet might make them a few extra in resale, or win then a few thousand dollars extra a year.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    98 percent of the pro's do not get theres for free. A fair amount of the pros run the Ultrex so at that point no need IMO for anything over 8 foot due to having spotlock. Some may not like the looks. Some may not want to run 10 foots because they run in extreme waves and weather. Only way to truly find out would be to ask a few, however having 2 foot longer poles will not make them win a few extra thousand at the end of the year. I could have had 10 foots, I choose 8's.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    98 percent of the pro's do not get theres for free. A fair amount of the pros run the Ultrex so at that point no need IMO for anything over 8 foot due to having spotlock. Some may not like the looks. Some may not want to run 10 foots because they run in extreme waves and weather. Only way to truly find out would be to ask a few, however having 2 foot longer poles will not make them win a few extra thousand at the end of the year. I could have had 10 foots, I choose 8's.
    Well said!

17. Member
    After watching quite a few pros fish they don't use the anchors as much as you would think. They cover water more than just sit and fish one spot. Lots only get used in the morning and when bed fishing.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Or 12s lol

19. Member
    I just got an ultrex and after using it this weekend I wouldn't want to use it in shallow water. It will blow the fish out or muddy up the water. I also have 8' poles I didn't go 10 for two reasons. One I fish a lot of team tournaments and my partner would have to deal with them in his way all the time. Two I couldn't justify the cost vs depth I would get from 10 footers. I also don't like the way the 10' models look on the boat they stick up a lot more then you think over the motor. Just my opinion. Glad I can have both as they both really do have their place.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

20. Member
    Havent been in a boat with talons in rough water so I cant say anything on those but man are the 10ft power pole blades noisy when running. They sound like theyre gonna fall off when you hit a wave hard, and thats after they were serviced (bushings and bolts). I have 8ft blades and love em. Theyre "sleek" and barely taller than my motor and dont make a sound when running across a lake.

Like others said, most of the time they just use em for docking the boat.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast