Hummingbird Mega verses helix

Is there a huge difference from regular helix to mega imaging for the cost increase when you have somewhat of a budget.

I would weigh in the size of the screen over the 1.2 GHz frequency. I wouldn't even
    think of adding MEGA to the equation unless I was already at the 12 size Helix. I
    would recommend buying biggest screen you can afford.

There MEGA frequency combined with Chirp and the newly refined MEGA transducer
    does provide a very high grade image. Just saying that the larger screen is a higher
    priority element of my overall calculus when choosing a sonar. 455 and 800 kHz with
    an HD transducer are no slouch. Properly tuned they can produce an excellent image.
    I use mostly SI. Just added 360, which is friggin smart bomb sonar.

Just my $0.02 owning a Helix 12 MEGA
    Last edited by doctorxring; 08-11-2017 at 11:10 AM.

3. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    My gen 1 12's look great - but when compared to my Mega 12 - they don't look so good...LOL

I have a friend who went from a 999SI to H9Mega SI and he's blown away at the difference.
    Last edited by sfw1960; 08-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

4. Member
    I have been asking myself that question. When I can get a Gen 1 10" from BBG for $960 and then you look at te MEGA unit price tag of $1600. To me without physically seeing both units running the same water side by side makes the decision harder.

5. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I want a 10" for at the wheel to replace my 859DI, but I am going to wait until I can get the 10 Mega - if that helps anyone....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

6. Banned
    If you dont really have the money then its not worth it in my opinion.

Loved my Mega 9, but for the extra money I couldnt justify it and sold it. And because it was too big for portaging

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    I have been asking myself that question. When I can get a Gen 1 10" from BBG for $960 and then you look at te MEGA unit price tag of $1600. To me without physically seeing both units running the same water side by side makes the decision harder.

Your point here is well spoken and you should give it some thought.

All I can say is that the dollar cost per unit of useable sonar information ratio is MUCH higher with the Gen 1 Helix 10 versus the Helix 10 MEGA. You are paying
    the extra 60% for refinement, not "game changing advancement". It's like resolution with photography. High resolution photography looks more "real" but
    it does not determine if it's a good photograph or not. Basically, we are talking information here. Do you need to see the cracks in the rocks on rock piles ?
    Do you need to see small twigs on the lay downs ? Do your sonar side scans need to be photo-realistic in order for you to make full use of them ? Or is
    it more important that you get a strong, clear sonar reflection of the fish and be able to reach out, as you do with 455 KHz ?

I bought MEGA myself because I AM a photographer and I enjoy the refined sonar imaging produced by MEGA. But not because I thought it was going to help
    me catch any more fish. The better range and superior reflectivity gained from 455 KHz is the fisherman's main tool when it comes to side scan. There are likely
    some niche situations where MEGA may be better. In my mind, the extra $600 would be better spent towards a 360 unit for your boat. Now that is a game changing technology.

Last edited by doctorxring; 08-11-2017 at 11:38 AM.

8. Member
    You are kind of confirming what I'm thinking. If I can make the budget stretch I want to go to a Mega at the console for mapping, etc and then a Gen 1 at bow. I figured once I'm at bow I already know what I'm looking at since it would have been already mapped previously.

One more thing when comparing the actual units, not the purchase price, the MSRP is $200 difference. With that $200 you get added 1200 kHz Imaging, CHIRP sonar, CHIRP Imaging, and dedicated Down Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    I don't have a Helix, but the clear down imaging of the mega would be worth it for me to see exactly what I am fishing. The blended down imaging in my 1198si is terrible. I have a dedicated DI in the bow and there is no comparison.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    One more thing when comparing the actual units, not the purchase price, the MSRP is $200 difference. With that $200 you get added 1200 kHz Imaging, CHIRP sonar, CHIRP Imaging, and dedicated Down Imaging.

Can definatrly look at it that way when one of the units aren't on sale.

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Can definatrly look at it that way when one of the units aren't on sale.
    If you sell yourself short, no amount of savings helps once you're stuck with something that doesn't perform as well as another unit and the money spent is not recoverable.

The best stuff always commands more money than lesser products - I run a mix of both.

Being able to mix and adjust Chirp frequencies as well as the superior detail is why many gents are jumping ship from Lowrance - that say something in itself.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

I went from 2 Onix to 2 Helix 12 mega .. man they are worth it IMO

14. Member
    Well I just picked up a 10 SI Gen 1 from Cabelas (points and gift cards) as they were on sale and not much more than BBG, etc. It will go on the bow. I'm hopeful to pickup a Mega 10 on the TackleWarehouse black friday sale this year for console. Really would have liked to get dual Mega 10 or even a Mega 10 w/ Mega 9 but I'm already stretching the budget a little further than planned for electronics and still need to get some other items for the boat yet.

15. Member
    if i were going to gen i 10 for bow i would go with di because the di on si unit is not as good. i have a gen 1 si on bow now and a mega on console no comparsion on di mega lots better