Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bassmaster done with Louisiana bc of public access issue?

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/louisiana-waters-limits-2018-sabine-elite-tournament

20XDC / Promax

2. Member

I still wonder why organizations like CCA or any native to Louisiana major companies or publications don't shed more light on this? This is great that BASS made their decision, but I would love to see this topic on every hunting/fishing show on the outdoor channel, in every hunting and fishing magazine that has anything to do with hunting or fishing in Louisiana, bulletins posted by sporting goods stores in Louisiana, at service stations where boaters often fuel up, etc.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by H22BASS250SHO View Post
    CCA
    They could put it on their product packaging maybe.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H22BASS250SHO View Post
    I still wonder why organizations like CCA or any native to Louisiana major companies or publications don't shed more light on this? This is great that BASS made their decision, but I would love to see this topic on every hunting/fishing show on the outdoor channel, in every hunting and fishing magazine that has anything to do with hunting or fishing in Louisiana, bulletins posted by sporting goods stores in Louisiana, at service stations where boaters often fuel up, etc.
    CCA won't touch it because most of their big donors in LA are the exact people that own or control the land. You'll never see it on the shows because they are all sponsored by either the state or local tourism groups and awareness of the issue would hurt tourism. The only way I think that this is going to get fixed is for someone with deep pockets to get arrested for trespassing or shot at and to take the case to the supreme court.

6. Member
    That la shit

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    CCA won't touch it because most of their big donors in LA are the exact people that own or control the land. You'll never see it on the shows because they are all sponsored by either the state or local tourism groups and awareness of the issue would hurt tourism. The only way I think that this is going to get fixed is for someone with deep pockets to get arrested for trespassing or shot at and to take the case to the supreme court.

That's the only way things will change. Better to put all your eggs in one basket here and go for it, otherwise you'll be spending time and money for years against people who have way more than you. I would get a real good read from some experts before going ahead.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

8. Member
    Give the "oil" and "land" company's the option......

A: give public access to ALL

OR

B: return the land and or marsh to what it was on the map we use for land ownership from the 1800's

9. Member
    I think its amazing some wildlife areas have oil and gas boats that go wide open in narrow canals. How are they even allowed to be in that area in the first place? Yet one boat drifts into the marsh and they want to give out tickets. This won't matter to the state at all. The small businesses will get hurt a little but as long as the companies and landowners lease access it won't be an issue. Out of state tourists will pay and that is the end game. To be able to charge anything they want and have control over who can fish and hunt. The "owned" land should not receive any money or any help to restore the land being eroded from my tax dollars. I'm not causing the land to erode because we can't even access those areas.

10. Member
    "Sportsman's Paradise" has become Rich Man's Private Hunting and Fishing Lease. It's all in who you know and the social circles these folks hang with. The greedy folks are driving away assets from what could be a great boost for our failing, yes failing, state. If it weren't for family and friends, I'd be Texas bound in a pair of minutes.

11. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Ya'll quit spending money on any hunting or fishing for one year in LA and see how quick it becomes an issue. Money is the only thing these people understand and the only power you have.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Ya'll quit spending money on any hunting or fishing for one year in LA and see how quick it becomes an issue. Money is the only thing these people understand and the only power you have.
    Sure, all these people with $50,000 boats are just going to let them sit for 12 months.

13. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Then deal with what yall have and don't complain about it. Pretty simple really.

14. Member
    They have had cases taken to the Supreme court. I believe it was in 2005, the S.C. ruled in a La. case...and then stated this. All states have the right to interpret the Public Trust Doctrine, and any definitions that apply to the state's waterways...such as right to navigate, use for commerce, "public owned water bottoms". In other words the S.C. threw this back to the states, and in La. ...we all know what that means.

15. Member
    Need to contact all the other bass circuits as well as all the redfish tours and ask them to notify the state of the same decision. If it doesn't hit the state in the pocketbook the fishermen will never win.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    Need to contact all the other bass circuits as well as all the redfish tours and ask them to notify the state of the same decision. If it doesn't hit the state in the pocketbook the fishermen will never win.
    Frankly, that money is fractions of pennies compared to the oil and gas industry. We've got a trip up a cliff to get this fixed.

17. Member
    Folks Edwin Edwards sold the state to business a long time ago. This is an uphill battle that needs to be fought on every front in order to win. The most important being pushing oil and gas to pay a portion of the costs of coastal erosion/ restoration. Cutting out any government funding to restore private marsh. Passing legislation making them damn off private marsh from public waters. You have to look at all the angles and get as many pieces as you can. Start with the one's you think you can pass and go from there. Everyone knows the answer to how to eat an elephant, it's one bite at a time. A herd of elephants are being eaten here.

18. Member
    Energy companies have already moved offices out of Louisiana due to the lawsuits that the governor is pushing on them for coastal erosion. Personally, I think they should pay for it but realistically, our state would be in worse financial state than Detroit if the industry left due to the threat of constant lawsuits.

Coastal erosion is a totally different issue than the tidal water/private property issue.

19. Member
    Energy companies have already moved offices out of Louisiana due to the lawsuits that the governor is pushing on them for coastal erosion. Personally, I think they should pay for it but realistically, our state would be in worse financial state than Detroit if the industry left due to the threat of constant lawsuits.

Coastal erosion is a totally different issue than the tidal water/private property issue.
    It's a proven fact that coastal erosion was accelerated by the canals dug by oil and gas exploration, they share in the responsibility.

The main thing I'm saying is you have to use everything available to turn this around. You have to get a majority of legislators to pass a new law, so you have to find things the majority will support to put pressure on these landowners. People view this as a regional thing and out of 64 parishes you may have less than 10 affected, not nearly enough for a majority. Find common ground with the majority, something that their people want and you have a chance.

20. Member
    You cannot sue the oil companies into compliance and expect them to continue to keep their operations here, operations which are 1/3 of the state's GDP.

Laws limiting the liability of landowners for people getting hurt on their land would be a good first step and would help landowners large and small across the state. Then you work on laws transferring tidal waters to the public while the landowners retain bottom and mineral rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast