Buddy bearings to Vault hubs?

Is it possible to go from a buddy bearing system to the new Vault hubs on a 2001 Champion trailer? If so do you buy the Vault hubs and change them out or are new axles required or what? Thanks for your help!

txsunfish

2. Member
    Anybody do this? Thanks

3. Member
    I don't see why not. Check out the Vault docs. Just pull the hubs, clean out the old grease, replace rear seal. Then follow Vault instructions. I'd guess all you need is the Vault caps to replace the Bearing Buddy Caps. Same hubs same axle.

http://www.waymires.com/support_docs_ufp.php
    Last edited by Ed R; 08-13-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    In order to get the warranty, the axle must be manufactured with the Vault. Changing without the warranty is a matter of using an oil seal and Ed R's post above

5. Member
    So not a real big deal either way with or without the warranty. Ok thanks guy's!

txsunfish

I would stick with Trailer Buddy bearing protectors and regular marine grease as it is still a pressurized system to keep water out. Also easier to maintain and not have to replace the axle to get a true Vault system which has the drilled spindle to use a zerk fitting to fill hub. Zerk fitting gets removed before installing the Vault bearing protector. I've read all of UFP's manuals and sticking with the Trailer Buddy's and grease.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

7. Member
    You probably have a great point, keep it simple stupid. Don't fix it if it isn't broken! Thanks

txsunfish

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I don't see why not. Check out the Vault docs. Just pull the hubs, clean out the old grease, replace rear seal. Then follow Vault instructions. I'd guess all you need is the Vault caps to replace the Bearing Buddy Caps. Same hubs same axle.

http://www.waymires.com/support_docs_ufp.php
    This Is it in a nut shell. I also think you could pack the bearings in the hybrid grease, fill the hub with grease and install the vault cap and be good to go. The zerk fitting is just used to fill the hub with the hybrid grease which could be done by hand.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I done this and its no big deal you may need to change the wear rings for the rear seal. Do you have a tandem or single axle trailer?
    Thanks

Rick Wilson
    send2rwilson@gmail.com

10. Member
    The trailer is a tandem.