Angry Maxxum 74 main shaft replacement

Bought a used minn kota maxxum 74 from another member on here, knew there were problems, found out the main shaft is trashed due to lower bearing failure, how hard is it to replace main shaft? Heard it was bear to do.

2. Member
    If you have ever done it, it can be a challenge. If you want it done right I would bring to a Minn Kota ACS near you. They will do it right, and should give a 90 day warranty on parts.

3. Member
    I did mine a couple of years ago due to the same lower bearing failure. I never knew that lubrication of the bearings was a requirement as I had always assumed that they were sealed. Now I lubricate the lower one twice a year. If your handy with tools its not that big of a deal. Most time consuming part was cleaning the threads out where it screws into the lower unit. If you do it, you may as well change the upper bearings also since their cheap.

4. Member
    I guess my main question is if im capable to actually unscrew theshaft from the motor pod wothout going nuclear on it and if i twist too hard since its composite im assuming i could snap it off. I'm plenty handy with tools I've already got this entire trolling striped bare in about an hr, and I've done a few of the bearing replacements on the outer tube, that's a no brainier in my book, no different than a trailer axle, always replace em all.

5. Member
    Just make sure that you gently heat the lower unit where the shaft screws in until the Loctite softens. I used a pipe wrench on the shaft since I knew it wouldn't matter if I scarred it up a bit. Once there was sufficient heat on the connection the shaft unscrewed with little effort. When reassembling use Red Loctite as indicated in the directions that come with the shaft.
    Last edited by mak747; 08-11-2017 at 09:56 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mak747 View Post
    Just make sure that you gently heat the lower unit where the shaft screws in until the Loctite softens. I used a pipe wrench on the shaft since I knew it wouldn't matter if I scarred it up a bit. Once there was sufficient heat on the connection the shaft unscrewed with little effort. When reassembling use Red Loctite as indicated in the directions that come with the shaft.
    Make sure you clean the threads thoroughly before you attempt to install the new shaft. If you don't, the shaft will not screw in correctly and mess the threads up.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Make sure you clean the threads thoroughly before you attempt to install the new shaft. If you don't, the shaft will not screw in correctly and mess the threads up.
    Not only will they mess the thread up, but the new shaft will not seat properly with the locktite and e subject to leak.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Well I heated the lug on the motor pod up with a heat gun, and wouldn't budge, all I did was splinter the shaft, as the pipe wrench dug into the shaft, it was hot enough I couldn't touch it. So maybe not hot enough?

9. Member
    We have blocks that hold the shaft in a vice while we unscrew the motor from the shaft. Putting a pipe wrench, channel locks etc. will splinter the shaft. Now you have to use a screwdriver, being careful not to damage the threads in the motor, and pry the debris out of the motor. Then you'll need to clean the threads.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Ok, thank you Mr Jones. As a note, I did not destroy the shaft while using the pipe wrench, I stopped trying once I saw the shaft start to splinter, the shaft is still intact so I assume I could still put the shaft in a vice and unscrew the pod that way?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaguarJim View Post
    Ok, thank you Mr Jones. As a note, I did not destroy the shaft while using the pipe wrench, I stopped trying once I saw the shaft start to splinter, the shaft is still intact so I assume I could still put the shaft in a vice and unscrew the pod that way?
    If you put it in a vice, will probably continue to splinter. Once it starts, causes a weak spots. As I said, we have a set of blocks made to hold the shaft when put in a vice.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    I actually was able to use a vice and the shaft did not self destruct and I was able to remove the old shaft. What should use to clean the threads? And one member said to use red loctite to reassemble the shaft, is that water proof enough?

13. Member
    Red loctite is fine. We have a tap with a hole in it for the wires that is used to clean threads. You might try some type of pick. Be sure and turn it upside down so the "trash" doesn't fall into the lower unit.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    Get off the cheap truck and buy a shaft. If it leaks you'll still have to buy one plus water will damage the lower unit (motor). Not counting doing the same work twice.