Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar

Anybody do things a certain way just because it brings back memories?

Was loading my new 5th wheel last night and packed my Coleman lantern and stove. Don't need them, but I'll use them. Have a range and microwave inside and LED lights on the awning. I can remember camping and fishing with my grandpa and my dad hearing that Coleman lantern hissing and watching that blue ring of flame on the stove. Can't tell you how many river banks, deer camps, campgrounds and even road side rest areas we used them in. Using them takes me back.

Sitting outside in the evening I'll burn a citronella candle. Doesn't seem to help much with the mosquitoes, but my grandma always burned one on the porch, and the smell reminds me of those evenings sitting on their porch lit by the single yellow bulb.

Kind of nice to hold onto little pieces of the past when so much of it is gone.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I hear ya! For me most of the times it's smells... love when something I smell reminds me of the past... certain 2 stroke racing oil reminds me of racing motocross.

There are also tools, whenever I use my Grandfathers breaker bar or one of his other hand-me-downs I smile!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    I hear ya! For me most of the times it's smells... love when something I smell reminds me of the past... certain 2 stroke racing oil reminds me of racing motocross.

There are also tools, whenever I use my Grandfathers breaker bar or one of his other hand-me-downs I smile!

Oh yeah. Forgot about Hoppes No. 9. Kitchen table with my grandpa.
    nothing else matters.​

Always when gutting a buck, I take the nut sack and hang them in a tree and say, "Won't be needing these anymore." Why? b/c that's what my Dad taught me on my first deer.

I have to have coffee in my Grandpas blue mug, while at the cabin.......He bought the property in 49' spent summers there with him as a kid. going up this weekend for a week.

Smell is directly tied to our long term memory.
    Remington gun oil always makes think of summer squirrel hunts with my grandpa. August and September meant lots of sweat on the the gun that needed wiped and re oiled.
    I drive out of my way sometimes just to see familiar scenery. A lot of old guns, old tools, knives and so on will never be totally replaced by newer or better.

7. Member
    Smells do it for me. Fresh cut grass, honeysuckle in bloom and fresh bread baking.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Same here. My camper has every modern convenience available, but the lantern and citronella candles always get used. We camped last week at Summersville Lake. Some of my wife's family were with us. Their 7yr old son asked me when he could watch the TV. I just laughed and told him that it was only used if it was storming and the playground was flooded.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

9. Member
    I have an old campfire percolater coffee pot the not only reminds me of my dad but of my best friend/fishing buddy who is no longer with us!

Yes, the hissing of a lantern brings back many, many nights at the river. The smell of coal burning takes me back to when I was a kid and our old Kingstove in the house or the Warm Morning stove in the building. Everytime I use stain or polyurethane, I think back when dad and me used to refinish gun stocks for a side business/hobby. It's amazing how certain things you do or smells can bring back so many memories!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Kick n' Bass garlic always reminds me of when my son was young and always fished with me. He would douche everything he threw with that stuff.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Still have an old coleman stove.....2 burner and a couple lanterns......Memories.....

I upgraded the coleman stove 10yrs ago, to dual fuel, unleaded gas is way cheaper than coleman fuel, still have 1 can of coleman un opened. On shelf. and still the orginal lantern, its old but INC = (in new condition) It just hangs on metal pole near campsite fire ring. and use a regular mechanics drop cord light near camper under the awning. wife cooks over fire pit, and the charcoal grill we tote along, besides the TT oven and stove top & microwave. only thing gets Boiled is coffee Iced Tea in campers coffee maker haha. 12x12 screen tent over camp table and its right by the awning to keep bugs out.

14. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Have a stove and newer propane model lantern, but this one's my favorite...

1958 Model 220E that belonged to my Grandparents... They gave it to me ~1985, while I was in college.

It had started giving problems some time ago, so I just kind of put it away and forgot about it. Got it out a few years back and went all through it (new pump, generator, fill cap, etc.) and found a new globe to replace the original Pyrex that got broken... It once again works like a champ.

As others have mentioned, lots of memories... Nothing quite like a crisp Fall evening, warm campfire, cold beer and the hiss of an old Coleman lantern.
    Who controls John Gill?

15. Member
    Go to a breakfast place off and on for nearly 30 years that serves fresh oatmeal. When I first started going they served whole milk on the oatmeal. It had been so long that I had both oatmeal and whole milk. Reminded me of growing up and my mother serving us our hot cereals with whole milk. Stupid little nothing detail that brought back memories. Still going there a couple times a week now that I work in the same area.

I inherited my grandfather's pocket knife when he passed.
    When I go hunting and fishing, it goes hunting and fishing.
    Mike
    ---------------------------
    If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbartles View Post
    I inherited my grandfather's pocket knife when he passed.
    When I go hunting and fishing, it goes hunting and fishing.
    Same here, but I'm afraid to take it out of the house. Mostly use it to unpackage the grandkids' Christmas presents like he did.
    nothing else matters.​

18. Banned
    Smells do it for me to. Every time I use or smell shoe polish it reminds me of dad. Every night before he went to bed he would polish his shoes for work. Guess being retired Marine Corps old habits were hard to break. The smell of Coleman fuel also takes me back to the many camping trips when the kids were young.

19. Member
    I love driving my 1968 Camaro because it always reminds me of my first car