Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    What do you mean by boosting from the starting battery?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    The second line: Although these batteries were tested for use with the Verado Engines, their superior Reserve Capacity Ratings would make them an EXCELLENT choice for Optimax or EFI engines used in a Bass Application!
    There is a big difference between an EFI with an alternator and an EFI with a stator. Feel free to ask Don. I've spoken with him extensively on the topic. Or search the site for stator and AGM where Don routinely posts pictures of burned regulators. Don's battery post doesn't apply to the engine in this thread.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I'm a little confused now because I thought you said above you have an EFI with stator and run AGM, but I thought that was what Don doesn't recommend. When you've spoken to him, what has he said? You are just lucky? He's not 100% sure of the issue? Just seems like a mixed message, but maybe I'm missing something.

Just out of curiosity, how many regulators on a Merc EFI? I think it's just one on Yammie, that could be a big physical difference, not sure about functionality....
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I'm a little confused now because I thought you said above you have an EFI with stator and run AGM, but I thought that was what Don doesn't recommend. When you've spoken to him, what has he said? You are just lucky? He's not 100% sure of the issue? Just seems like a mixed message, but maybe I'm missing something.

Just out of curiosity, how many regulators on a Merc EFI? I think it's just one on Yammie, that could be a big physical difference, not sure about functionality....
    Two regulators. Essentially two separate 20A charging systems with combined output.

Mercury recommends against AGMs and deep-cycles on these outboards for the reasons I mentioned earlier. My most recent post was in response to another member referring to Don's post for Verado batteries as endorsing those batteries for a stator engine when in fact Don's view is exactly the opposite.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    There is a big difference between an EFI with an alternator and an EFI with a stator. Feel free to ask Don. I've spoken with him extensively on the topic. Or search the site for stator and AGM where Don routinely posts pictures of burned regulators. Don's battery post doesn't apply to the engine in this thread.
    Thanks for explaining it. I was confused about the difference!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12