Ox66 water under cowling when running

I have just recently noticed that on runs wide open throttle (after 5 minutes) that I am getting water inside my cowling (200hp ox66). I am not running an airbox due to a hydrotech 1" throttle body spacer but I will be putting the airbox on tomorrow until I resolve this problem. I noticed the issue when I sucked some water into the bottom two ports on my throttle body and started loosing speed - removed the cowl and saw a pool of water draining out.
    Can this be my exhaust gasket causing this issue? Has this happened before to anyone here? Water is not spraying in past the hood seal , I even adjusted the hood to make it fit tighter.

2. Member
    Run it on a hose and you may find it. Mine has a crack in the water jacket on the starboard side under the electrical box. Still runs fine but leaks. Tried fixing multiple times with cold weld. No luck. Never had it suck any water in though.

3. Member
    I lost 4 power head to midsection gaskets in the 12 years I owned my 0X 66 engine. Not sure why the original one failed but the next two were caused by the wrong torque spec in the service manual. One cost me a powerhead in exactly the situation you are describing. I would only use a Yamaha gasket in that location.

4. Member
    Just had it on the hose and no leaks... I'm 90% sure is the gaskets hooken203 is describing

5. Member
    Well I unbolted the computer and thenwater plate between the cylinder heads was missing one bolt (bottom middle row) hopefully this was the only place water was coming in under high speed/pressure

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppbm15 View Post
    Well I unbolted the computer and thenwater plate between the cylinder heads was missing one bolt (bottom middle row) hopefully this was the only place water was coming in under high speed/pressure
    This is a common problem with this motor. I have replaced that gasket before. Be careful taking the bolts out. They will break and you will have to drill them out. If you have one that is tight I would soak it with a good penetrating oil before putting a lot of torque on it.

7. Banned
    +1^^^ You can get new SS bolts from almost any hardware store. Have fun scraping that gasket. This would be a good time to replace the grommet for the poppit valve.