Evaluating 2002 185VS

I have made an offer on a 2002 Ranger 185VS with dual consoles. The boat was purchased by the present owner in 2002 and stored under cover since then. Has only been to the lake a total of 5 times and the motor, a Mercury XR6 150 hp has just a tick over 20 hours total time. Everything looks nearly new with the carpet, hull, and all metal flake surfaces bright and shiny as well as the motor. Motor runs in the driveway but the boat has been idle for approximately 9 years. Owner has had health issues since then, thus the reason for storage. Gas tank was drained and had new fuel added, even though the tires appeared to be hardly used, owner has replaced the two on the ground and spare. I understand the issues with the motor as well as ancillary systems having been idle but this seems like a cherry boat that appears most nearly brand new for less than one third of the price of it's original selling price and looks like an affordable option for having a like new boat even though the technology is fifteen years old. My questions are not related to the price I will pay but rather your experience with this particular boat and motor and how it performs in any specific functions you may know. Thank you in advance for your input.

David G
    Last edited by David g; 08-10-2017 at 03:58 AM.

I had that motor on a previous Ranger. I would change all the fuel hoses and I might would double oil it for a tank. I wouldn't be afraid of it one bit if you get it at an affordable price. I have a 2000 model Ranger.

Sounds just like my 05 185vs. It was a one owner, he was a friend of the family and Bobby bought it new to crappie fish out of. He used it 3 times a year at most, always wiped down and put in the garage after he used it then covered in the garage. Sadly he was diagnosed with cancer in 2015 and passed last year. When I went to pick it up it looked new, still had the bar code stickers on the lower unit, not a scratch or blemish anywhere and the smartcraft gauge read 60 hours with 55 of them below 2k rpm. It has a 150 on it and will run right at 60, no speed demon but rides well. The front deck is wide and it's stable with the trolling motor down. Overall it's a great boat, well built and I'd purchase it again. Good luck with your decision.

4. Member
    Sounds like a nice boat to buy. I have fished in one and it fishes big and is very stable. Just go through it thoroughly. You will have things like batteries, tires, trailer spring inspection (maybe that year have to ask the Ranger guys), pumps and little stuff that may give you a little grief from age and lack of use, but if you get a fair price and all, you will be happy. There are some boats out there with cream puff status that are waiting for new owners.

5. Member
    I have a 2006 I have owned 5 years now. Overall I really like the boat. It isn't very fast but very stable while fishing. I would definitely purchase it again.

6. Member
    I had one of these as well. It was a great boat. Had a 150 Yamaha. Like others have said, no speed demon, 60 at best, but overall a very nice boat. Only reason I sold it was to upgrade to a newer 19 ft Z19 with a 225. I still love the looks of the 185.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

I also had that boat for a few years. I really did like it. After year one, I ripped out the dual console, and it was awesome.

The best thing I ever did for that boat was buy the deck extension from Ranger. IF it doesn't have it already, I wouldn't hesitate to do that immediately.

Good luck!
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAB View Post
    I had one of these as well. It was a great boat. Had a 150 Yamaha. Like others have said, no speed demon, 60 at best, but overall a very nice boat. Only reason I sold it was to upgrade to a newer 19 ft Z19 with a 225. I still love the looks of the 185.
    Well look at that ironic timing.

I bought that boat from POPPAB! hahahaha
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

9. Banned
    I had a XR6 150 on My first Fl. boat and it ran great and never had an issue

You'll love that boat. I have an 02 with a 175 Opti and my b-i-l has an 03 with an XR6. Not fast boats but great fishing platforms.