Taking my tv with me

Well our family is a new owner of a 1997 jayco 3230 rks fifth wheel camper. 2 slides 4 season camper and it has been well cared for. My wife and i took it out for the first time this past weekend and had a blast. We had so much fun that now we are looking at getting our own 5th wheel but for the time being we are using this one that my parents bought. My main question is has anyone ever taken their home satalite tv with them camping and if so would any one know if this idea would work. We currently have direct tv but i have an old dish network dish still in my yard. Would it be possiable to take that old dish and use it with one of my direct tv genie boxes in the camper?

2. Member
    The genie boxes will not work. You have to have the old style receivers. Also, the only way for the dish network dish to work, you would have to put a direct TV lnb on it. You can get these from ebay.

3. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I have the same question. I've seen these "cubes" everyone is using at the campground. My camper is wired for satellite; however, I don't know the first thing to do. I have Directv at home.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    I have the same question. I've seen these "cubes" everyone is using at the campground. My camper is wired for satellite; however, I don't know the first thing to do. I have Directv at home.
    The cubes i think you are talking abot is the winegard dish's. They are a company that specifically make dish's for campers.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 275 pro View Post
    The genie boxes will not work. You have to have the old style receivers. Also, the only way for the dish network dish to work, you would have to put a direct TV lnb on it. You can get these from ebay.
    If the genie box wont work what about my main reciever that has the dvr in it?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeredude64 View Post
    If the genie box wont work what about my main reciever that has the dvr in it?
    It can be done but good luck. It is a total PITA to set up these multi satellite dishes used these days. Back years ago I would take a dish with me and have it set up and running in 5 mins. I bought a portable (new style dish) and tried for half a day to get a signal with it and finally came to the conclusion that if it was that hard I didn't want to go through that every time I went camping and I just sent the dang thing back.