Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    When you guys talk about ride quality, just what kind of conditions and speed are you running to make your conclusions?

2. Member
    Talking about Lake St. Clair and the great lakes for me. Back in the late 90s early 2000s when I still trourney fished, you would see 20 champs in a 50 boat tourney. Now you rarely see em due to their unfortunate demise. I'm not gonna get into wave heights because that always opens up a shit storm on these forums. Let me tell you this though, I am 48 been on the water here on LSC and the great lakes since I was 5. LSC is a giant bath tub with boat traffic that will rival any lake in the U.S. Very rough confused seas even if the wind isn't blowing. Been on Erie when I had no business being out there in a bassboat! And yet my narrow body champs always did the job and I'm still here to post about it. We used to run 40 miles out into Erie past Pelee island in serious seas and always made it back. A lot of it is driver and experience no doubt, but I can honestly say that my 202s and 203 did the job. No, we weren't running full out, but rather surfing and driving the boat to get to where we were going. You have to experience it to understand what I am talking about. The guys that claim they are running 50+ in 4 footers are completely full of chit. You have to drive and know what you are doing in those conditions. It isn't fun by any means, but I used to do it quite often and my narrow body champs did it well.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    The guys that claim they are running 50+ in 4 footers are completely full of chit. .
    Agreed.

Lake of the Ozarks and I drive it like I stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    When you guys talk about ride quality, just what kind of conditions and speed are you running to make your conclusions?

5. Member
    I know LOTO gets rough, but you're not really answering the question.

6. Member
    I've got an 03 206 and absolutely love it. Great ride and for the load it carries still plenty of speed

7. Pat Goff
    Can you run 50 mph in 4' rollers? Absolutely yes.
    Can you point it straight down the lake and hammer the throttle and do it? Absolutely not.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkennimer View Post
    The 206 needs a strong 250 to perform. If you have one, you know what you have. To each their own... Thankfully, we have several great models to choose from.
    Agree on 250min HP to get her out of her own way.
    For my experience the 206 needs a prop that provides good stern lift.

The difference in ride and handling I had switching props to increase stern lift was dramatic. Boat really came alive and I was really surprised on ride quality. I think getting the stern out of the water leveled out the hull and it now attacks waves much better. Now the difference between narrow hulls is not as noticeable.

I still prefer the smaller narrow Champs, but I like the larger compartments as I got tired I cramming things in a digging stuff out. I need storage space....deck space is not the deal breaker for me.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    This ... except I would leave off the 206 and replace with the 210. but then I'm partial The 201 is the hull that set the Champion ride standard.
    It is the 206 hull or layout that turned you off?
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    It's the hull. One of the last designs to come out of Mountain Home that needed a little refining according to Charlie. I think you hit it on your previous post. I respect Charlie's opinion, so took it off the list. Jason Bragg told me that Alan Stinson "tweaked" it in a spot or two and that was what they used for the 210. My 210 is good out of the hole and quick to get up on pad. It's a very nimble and maneuverable boat for its size. The mid-ship fuel tank, I think makes these a little more power to trim sensitive than my 86" rear tank hulls. Mine will try to porpoise if you come off the power any without re-trimming, so it took a while to learn that little quirk.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 08-11-2017 at 05:01 PM.

210 and the 206 are both great hulls. I've run the wiz out of them and prefer the 206 over the 210. IMO is has better over all performance. Stinson did his thing to tweek 210 to his liking and in turn it took away a thing or two about it, like the rear wedge being rounded down. Tit for Tat. Equally powered and set up the 210 is just a bit faster but not by much, the 206 turns better. Powering the early 206s with 225 hurts it a tad when the vast majority of the 210's were rigged with 250's. If I had two band new rigs sitting side by side set up exactly the same with the same price tag I'd have some serious thinking to do.

As fast as I can run on any given day, on any lake in the country, depending on the lake conditions .

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    I know LOTO gets rough, but you're not really answering the question.

13. Member
    My 04 206 has a 225 mercury, and I will agree a 250 would make big difference but, 60 mph ,fishes great ample storage and it looks good. Everyone here has spoken the truth. Thanks

14. Member
    I agree with you sir

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    It's the hull. One of the last designs to come out of Mountain Home that needed a little refining according to Charlie. I think you hit it on your previous post. I respect Charlie's opinion, so took it off the list. Jason Bragg told me that Alan Stinson "tweaked" it in a spot or two and that was what they used for the 210. My 210 is good out of the hole and quick to get up on pad. It's a very nimble and maneuverable boat for its size. The mid-ship fuel tank, I think makes these a little more power to trim sensitive than my 86" rear tank hulls. Mine will try to porpoise if you come off the power any without re-trimming, so it took a while to learn that little quirk.
    Richie Rogers (then brand manager) and I ran the crap out of the 206 on Guntersville at the 2004 TOC probably a little too long. It had a 250 HPDI on it and we stayed in Brown's Creek just going balls to the walls. No tackle just TM and fuel. Easy to drive and took nothing to get the 206 up on plane. But the best we could get out of it was 73.5,6,7,8. Just couldn't crack the 74/75 mark with it. Rode in Steve Dyar's 210 250/Merc on lake Norman at a rally in snotty conditions and it was a 77/78 MPH hull. I was looking for the oh shit handle but I couldn't find it. I think his passenger seat has a permanent crease in the seat from my butt cheeks trying to stay in the boat!
    Last edited by ChampioNman; 08-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.

^It's always nice to burn other people fuel up. Great story.

17. Member
    Im guessing i'll will be on the hunt for a 210 with a 250 on the back.

Thanks

18. Member
    Rear tank 203 was always my fav..one of the biggest reasons I bought the Cat Cougar with its rear gas tank and relative narrow beam by today's standards. If you can find a pristine 223 you're really in there.

The 210 is a big ole wide body. Nice ride and LOTS of room if that's what you prefer. I find that market has lots of competition.

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    What shame. If I was faced with a choice of a 203 or a 210 for my last ride I'd keep the 210.
    After seeing the side by side in this post, Charger/Champ 210 202 side by side comparison, I think you're right. The 210 is a "gentleman's" boat ...

20. Member
    Like Pat once said about the 206, it's an old fat man's boat. Same for the 210.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast