Thread: Auto bilge pump

Auto bilge pump

I've got a 98 Stratos 283. It has a standard bilge pump that is turned on/off with a switch on the dash. I'd really like to put a auto bilge pump in it for rainy days, and more importantly when I do happen to leave it in the water while camping and it rains. I'm guessing an auto bilge would need to be wired straight to the battery atleast on part of it? Also, would I need a 3 position switch? Currently I have just a 2 position switch for the bilge. I'm also guessing bilge pumps are pretty standard as far as getting an hose size goes? Thanks for all the help, Clayton.

2. Member
    straight to battery with fuse, dont need a switch,i used a bilge pump with the built in float switch and ran a hose with a y in it to connect to bilge pump out hose

3. Member
    Use same switch wire and just leave it on.

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    straight to battery with fuse, dont need a switch
    If it is automatic/float, Or you add a float switch. Water witch is a switch w/o any moving parts.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dryhorn2 View Post
    Use same switch wire and just leave it on.
    i turn all my acc off with my power switch thats why its straight to battery with fuse

As said, leave the manual in and put the auto with float switch in and wire to battery with fuse. If you want to plumb it into the same discharge hose as the manual you need a Y valve with one way check valves in it. Otherwise each pump can pump water back into the bilge thru the other pump. Here is an example.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/dual...1D0E55C1B50DD9

7. Member
    If you keep the power to the pump outside any main accy switch/main power switch, you can wire an auto bilge pump to have a manual on option, just on the odd chance you need it and the float or other auto switch decides not to work.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    Are you sure it doesn't already have an auto bilge pump?

9. Member
    Pretty positive it doesn't have an auto now, I've always had to turn it on.

So, I'm the first to admit I'm not the brightest bulb. I always thought auto bilge pumps worked with an internal float. Looking around, that doesn't seem to be the case. I see what y'all are saying now, I should be able to add a float switch to my current pump? I do like the idea of having a second pump with just a float switch to the battery. Would you guys just epoxy the float switch into the bottom of the boat? I appreciate all the help.

10. Member
    i would not epoxy it in,just tie rap or silcone

I don't trust the auto switches to not fail, I've had one do it.
    My current setup is a hot wire from the battery to the auto bilge switch and then to the bilge pump. I added a 2nd line inbetween the auto switch and the pump that runs to the bilge pump switch on the dash. This way I have an override if the auto switch fails.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    I don't trust the auto switches to not fail, I've had one do it.
    My current setup is a hot wire from the battery to the auto bilge switch and then to the bilge pump. I added a 2nd line inbetween the auto switch and the pump that runs to the bilge pump switch on the dash. This way I have an override if the auto switch fails.
    This is exactly what I would like to do. I'll have to look into the working to do that. I'm with you, I don't like the only way to bilge to be automatic.

13. Member
    This is what I added to my boat that originally had one manual bilge pump. I added a 1000GPH, so have this one and a manual 1000GPH. Anything larger and the hose becomes a restriction so you need bigger hose and through hull fittings in order to actually get the higher flow rates.

http://www.spxflow.com/en/johnson-pu...-ultima-combo/

I has three wires, one ground, one positive for manual operation and one positive for the automatic switch. You can sire it to a single pole, double throw switch (ON-OFF-ON) that you bring power to directly from the battery. The switch does not draw current and will not draw down the battery if left on, as long as you get one without lights that is. Then you can have it completely off, switch it to auto if you have to leave the boat out where it might accumulate water, or when on the water in case you swamp, and if needed and the auto switch isn't working, you can make it run manually.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

14. Member
    Make sure you have the fuse accessible so that if it gets stuck in on the position you can just disconnect at the fuse quickly before it drains your battery. I have disconnected my auto-bilge because it gets stuck in the on position. Very annoying at best. :)