Did Garmin refuse to exchange your CV transducer? They may have changed their mind...

Garmin may have decided to start exchanging CV transducers for GT transducers for those that got screwed over. Hopefully this isnt just a one off that slipped through the cracks......

Check posts 15 and 18 for details.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post8627579

Quote Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
    I bought a 93sv that came with the CV. I was not very satisfied with the Down Images at all. I called CS and asked to exchange it for the GT. They did exchange the CV for the GT at no charge and I can see quite a difference in my down images. I'm much more satisfied with the Garmin now. I was regretting not getting the Lowrance Elite, but now I wouldn't trade the Garmin for the Elite. I feel they should drop the CV completely and stick with the GT.

and

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post8627937

I swapped them out on the boat last week. Tuesday I think. It took about 5 days to get the GT and they shipped it Fedex ground, so it's been about 2 weeks ago when I called them. I just called customer service and told them I'd just bought the unit and wasn't satisfied with the down images I was getting. I told them I wanted to exchange the CV for the GT. It wasn't a problem. They emailed an RMA. The difference between the two was very noticeable on the down imaging, and even the side images were more detailed. The GT is a much better transducer in my opinion. Like I said, I'm very satisfied with my unit now.

Good luck!!!
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

2. Member
    Well, I bought pr 73SV's this spring. I will be on phone this morn and will find out. Let you know how it turns out for me. krw

3. Member
    Thanks for the heads up

I'm not sure if this made a difference, but I had just bought and registered my 93sv. A friend had one and I was going to buy an Elite 9. He took me out on his boat and I was impressed with the Garmin and bought one. He and I took mine out after I got it installed and noticed a difference in the imaging. He adjusted some things but it didn't seem to change much. We exchanged units and my unit was clearer and more detailed on his boat. That's when we looked at the tranducers and saw that mine was a different color and that it was a CV. His was the GT. That began my search on here after not being able to find out anything about the CV 'ducers on the Garmin website. They told me there were "slight differences" in the 'ducers, but shouldn't matter in depths less than 50' but I feel it did and I'm much more pleased with the GT.

5. Member
    I calld this morn. No, Garmin will not swap out GT transducers for CV transducers. Garmin customer service also said CV was the current transducer being shipped. Any new Garmin units with GT transducers were new old stock.

6. Member
    So he just got lucky then and Garmin is still telling their customers to F-off.

Sorry for the false alarm.

I just went back and looked at the RMA email. They did exchange my CV for a GT. It seems the CS tech I talked to did it as a replacement for a defective Transducer as a workaround maybe. He did allow me to get the GT though. It does state a 90 day warranty on the replacement, but that the original items warranty of 1 year would still apply to the GT. I'm good. I would have bought a GT somewhere if they hadn't replaced the CV like they did.

8. Banned
    its all in who you get on the phone

9. Member
    So perhaps you convince them your ducer is defective and the default replacement is the GT. :) It's all in how you handle it I'm guessing.

The GT wasn't the default replacement and I didn't convince them that the CV was defective. I just told the CS tech guy I'd just bought the unit and wasn't satisfied with the CV images I was getting on downscan. I told him I wanted it exchanged for the GT. He's the one that decided to do the exchange as a defective 'ducer. I only noticed that this morning when I went back to look at the RMA email after seeing this thread. I think it was a work around by the tech guy to get me what I wanted. I guess Troy is right. It depends on who you get on the phone. Luck of the draw I suppose.

11. Member
    Thats alot if transducers to exchange out.. Sounds like they are only doing it for customer complaints only.. Doesn't make them any different then Ford or Chevy.. Unless it's a mandatory recall.. I would imagine they are trying to get all their cv transducers gone and then they are going to launch a new model number with gt52 transducers.. And make a big hype about it.. Thats what I would do if I was in their situation.. I'm still waiting on Kraft to change their mac and cheese back to the original formula...
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

Quote Originally Posted by msn26753 View Post
    Thats alot if transducers to exchange out.. Sounds like they are only doing it for customer complaints only.. Doesn't make them any different then Ford or Chevy.. Unless it's a mandatory recall.. I would imagine they are trying to get all their cv transducers gone and then they are going to launch a new model number with gt52 transducers.. And make a big hype about it.. Thats what I would do if I was in their situation.. I'm still waiting on Kraft to change their mac and cheese back to the original formula...
    You are most likely spot on. They must have settled the lawsuit with Navico by taking the down imaging part out of their transducer rather than pay them for the permission to use one. That's what I seem to have read somewhere. Others were paying for the privilege to include he down-image sensor, but Garmin would not. I'm thinking the CV is their way to get around this. I'm also thinking when the GT52HW's are gone, there won't be anymore. Well, with the true down-image sensor in it. I don't see why they didn't just pay for the right to include down imaging and move on. That would have been best for the customer in my opinion. Give us what we want or we'll go elsewhere.

13. Member
    They must have settled the lawsuit with Navico by taking the down imaging part out of their transducer rather than pay them for the permission to use one. That's what I seem to have read somewhere. Others were paying for the privilege to include he down-image sensor, but Garmin would not. I'm thinking the CV is their way to get around this. I'm also thinking when the GT52HW's are gone, there won't be anymore. Well, with the true down-image sensor in it. I don't see why they didn't just pay for the right to include down imaging and move on. That would have been best for the customer in my opinion. Give us what we want or we'll go elsewhere.
    From what I understand, Garmin did not settle, but won the lawsuit. Accordingly, I wonder if the CV's will be discontinued or if Garmin will keep the simpler, cheaper transducer that allows them to price the bundled systems competitively.

14. Member
    It says right on my sticker. "Replace with GT40"

15. Member
    I believe there are no rights the have to pay for.. I believe that's what the suit was.. Maybe I'm misunderstood, but thats the way I understand it.. Garmin was being sued because lowrance/navico believed they had copyrights to the down image/element concept. And Garmin said, hell no you don't. So the courts ruled in favor for Garmin because you can't copyright down image.. So Garmin did away with gt52 and did cv52 without down element until lawsuit was over, Now that suit is over Garmin can go back to gt52 with no legal problems... I believe they are just getting rid of their cv stock and will go back to gt52s...
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

Quote Originally Posted by msn26753 View Post
    I believe there are no rights the have to pay for.. I believe that's what the suit was.. Maybe I'm misunderstood, but thats the way I understand it.. Garmin was being sued because lowrance/navico believed they had copyrights to the down image/element concept. And Garmin said, hell no you don't. So the courts ruled in favor for Garmin because you can't copyright down image.. So Garmin did away with gt52 and did cv52 without down element until lawsuit was over, Now that suit is over Garmin can go back to gt52 with no legal problems... I believe they are just getting rid of their cv stock and will go back to gt52s...
    That does make sense to me. It wouldn't be too smart of them to quit making the GT52's and continue with the CV's. That's my opinion anyway.

17. Member
    I knew Kraft Mac and Cheese tasted different!

18. Member
    if Garmin says that they are still shipping the CV transducers then its strange. ive been keeping an eye out at the online retailers after i heard that they changed transducers. BassPro and GPS store changed their descriptions to the clear vu transducers without a transducer part number. then after they won the law suit i checked again and Basspro and GPS store changed their descriptions back to include the GT52 transducer. so if it is new old stock does that mean that Garmin had some units on hold and released them to the retailers after they won the lawsuit?

i bought a 7sv when they first came out and really like it, especially the 2d and was going to buy a 93sv for the console and move the 7sv to the bow and later ad a 93sv there too. if they are keeping the inferior transducers and charging the same money for the package units, then i will spend more and go with a Humminbird Mega or Lowrance HDS.

If you complain that your images are"not so good" I bet they would exchange yo to a GT.

20. Member
    Yup. I think its a matter of how you word it. If there is something "wrong" with your CV, you are much more likely to get a replacement. The replacement will always be a GT transducer.

Id call back and tell them the CV is not working correctly.