Idling at 1000 RPM. 2000 225 Optimax

My 2000 Optimax started idling at 1000 rpm at the end of the day yesterday. I put it on the muffs this morning and it idled normal for a few minutes and gradually increased to 900 RPM. If I apply a small amount of pressure to the TPS it returns to normal idle. Any ideas? All of the shops in the area are booked until next week.

Is your throttle arm stop resting against the block as it should? (Is the throttle returning all the way to idle?)

You could have worn components on any of the linkages at the ball/socket connections, the cam, cam roller, tips linkage etc.

Your motor have one or two TPS?

Hot foot or hand throttle?
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

3. Member
    There is a little play against the roller but it is back touching the roller. It is a single TPS and has a foot throttle. New throttle cable was installed a year ago and the hot foot is clear of debris.

Is the white stopper on the idle stop screw resting against the engine block? When you put a piece of paper between the idle stop screw and the block it should be tight enough to hold a piece of paper but not tight enough where the paper rips when you pull it out.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

5. Member
    That appears to be ok. The TPS movement does not seems to be very smooth after looking at it closely. Should that snap back pretty good?

Should snap back on its own with linkages disconnected. If it does snap back, a TPS sweep on a Mercury CDS would be a good next step.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

7. Member
    I took apart the TPS and gave it a thorough cleaning and wiped the rotating pieces with WD-40. Reassembled and started it It idled normal and went through a couple low throttle cycles and it returned to normal idle where it was idling up during this time frame before. Could it be that simple of a gunked up TPS?

I would imagine if dirt, grease, debris, etc got caught or built up then it could cause increased friction which the built in spring may not be able to overcome.

Hopefully thats all there is to it.

Be sure you report back either way!
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

9. Member
    I'm going to try it on the lake tonight and see what happens. Thanks for all of your help! It is very much appreciated. I will post with the outcome.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If this seems to have solved the problem, REPLACE the TPS. It's really not to be considered a "serviceable" component (and may fail in a different RPM range next time)!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I was finally able to get it in the water tonight for a couple hours of idling around. In and out of gear many times. It did return back to its normal range and idled fine every time. I will talk to my local dealer about ordering me a new one. Is this a simple install or should it be done by a dealer?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very simple install. Make sure the key is OFF until you're all hooked up and ready to go.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor