Thread: PS30 tips?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    nice description, anyway

2. Member
    That sucks Leonard! I tried all the players and remedies I know and nothing worked for me either. Must have been a glitch in the recording app you used or maybe an sd card error? Im just guessing.

Sure wish they had turned out!
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    I was back there today. But on my lake, every night the deck gets reshuffled. Still got a good catch but it was nothing like what it was before. I'll try it again when I get another good situation. I don't know what happened. I wasn't using a card. Recorded directly to phone memory then uploaded it. I've done some more phone recording with no problems. Who knows, could even be some kind of user error. I've not done a lot of this.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    These recordings can be huge depending on the settings. Some of mine have been close to 2 gig. Just guessing, but could it be you are running out of memory on the phone?

I asked the lead Panoptix engineer to comment on the color legend with the RealVu Historical mode:

There are two vertical color bars in historical mode. One shows the depth of the bottom based off of the color. So looking at some place in the bottom, you can know how deep it is without moving the view around to see in 3D where it is. The same for the other vertical color bar, only this is for the suspended targets. It is a different color palette that lets you differentiate those targets and how deep they are just from the color.

Note that you can adjust the depth at which this pattern repeats. This allows you to set it at a slow color change so that you always know the absolute depth based on the color or if you set the rate high (by setting the pattern depth shallow), then you get very fine resolution on depth and know more easily when things are separated vertically.
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    I dont understand how that works when the same colors repeat over and over. You have reds on top, middle and bottom of the screen. Same with the browns/yellows etc. If you have even a slightly oblique view, its impossible to tell which color lines up with which depths.

In the screen capture I got, there are 4 repeating layers of colors for bottom and for fish.

Are you saying you can change that to a single layer of colors? I dont see that in the menu...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    I dont understand how that works when the same colors repeat over and over. You have reds on top, middle and bottom of the screen. Same with the browns/yellows etc. If you have even a slightly oblique view, its impossible to tell which color lines up with which depths.

In the screen capture I got, there are 4 repeating layers of colors for bottom and for fish.

Are you saying you can change that to a single layer of colors? I dont see that in the menu...
    More from the engineer:

The “Palette Depth” control sets how many feet each cycle of the colors covers. So if you are in 100’ of water, you set the palette depth to 100’ or more and never have a repeat of the colors. Then you know what color is what depth, but your resolution is lower because the colors change so slowly over several feet. If you look at the key head on, you can mark the color you care about and then know that from any angle you view the scene at, you know what that depth is from the color.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Thanks Todd. That wasnt obvious from the menu choices.

9. Member
    Been meaning to post a question on my PS30. I only had a chance to use it up in canada a few weeks back so I need to spend a bit more time with it. For vertical jigging I had to have the gain set to auto/high in order to see my jig well below the boat, but then I got quite a bit of interference. It was kind of rough on the lake and seemed like some of the interference was due to the bow of the boat moving up and down a lot. (my PS30 is mounted up front)

Also going to try a power source direct from my battery and see if that helps at all.

Thoughts?

10. Member
    You shouldn't have any trouble seeing your jig on Auto Medium. How deep are you fishing? What kind/size of jig?
    Do you have 50 ft of water? If so, check the mounting (pointing) of the transducer. Set it to 10 degrees. Mark your line for 40 ft. If you're using braided line, throw a slip knot in it at 40 ft. You can pull it out later. Pitch out in front of the boat and get out the 40 ft of line as quicking as you can. Close the bell and let if fall towards you. Note the angle of the line when the lure first shows up. As it shows up use your trolling motor to move forward and note the angle of the line where the lure disappears. That will tell you if your mounting has the xd pointed straight down.

I'm catching walleye at 115 ft deep on a W9 Jigging Rap and I see my lure on Auto Medium. It's a blast.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Did the panoptix software updates and ran things again in calm water. Seemed to be working better. My 1040xs was glitching a freezing quite a bit not sure if that has anything to do with the panoptix update or not?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12