Brake problem. Help

I have ranger trail trailer 2008 with surge brake and disk brakes rebuilt the acuatoer new seliniod it has one bleeder on left wheel single ax trailer. When i activate brake still wont release all the way dragging a little and brake get hot any help is greatly appriciated

Check to make sure the calipers are sliding on their mounts (if that's the right word to use). A little corrosion on the mount will prevent them from sliding smoothly.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbar View Post
    I have ranger trail trailer 2008 with surge brake and disk brakes rebuilt the acuatoer new seliniod it has one bleeder on left wheel single ax trailer. When i activate brake still wont release all the way dragging a little and brake get hot any help is greatly appriciated
    On any brake system the master cylinder must retract sufficiently to clear an internal port or the brakes will apply and never release. Make sure there's no mechanical pressure on yours with the tongue free to move. If the brakes drag at the wheels, and you open the bleeder, and fluid comes out or the brakes release, you have a fluid problem. If they still don't release fully with only a tiny drag, you have a mechanical problem.
    Let the comments begin.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    How hot and how much does it drag? Can you spin the tire when you jack that side of the trailer up?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Its geting hot enough to burn u and u can smell em burning. I canjack it up and spin the wheel then push in on tounge brakes stop wheel but it seems to drag then if i pull out on coupler they will release all the way. Should i be able to push coupler with ease

6. Member
    I can push in on tounge and it will go about an inch past the hole u put pin in to back up

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Is the tongue level on the trailer when you are towing?

What you are doing by hand with the wheel jacked up sounds normal. The brakes don't release until the actuator gets pulled forward.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Is the tongue level on the trailer when you are towing?

What you are doing by hand with the wheel jacked up sounds normal. The brakes don't release until the actuator gets pulled forward.
    Either that or by a shock or return spring moving the ball socket part forward.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Either that or by a shock or return spring moving the ball socket part forward.
    I've never seen one that moves forward on its own.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I've never seen one that moves forward on its own.
    I see.

there is a small piece of metal sticking up inside the the place where the cylinder goes make sure you do not push the master cylinder past that metal it is there for the break away brake, just make sure to stop the cylinder at the metal sticking up about 1/4in about 1/2 in wide, if you go past it you have your emergency brake on , there is a square hole in the metal that is sticking down under the tongue, put a screw driver in hole pull down on it ,and pull master forward to release the brake...

It is probably your safety cable causing the brakes to engage.. Slight routing bind can cause your brakes to drag. I fought this for a couple of months. Finally removed it. No more problem.