Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Secret to a tender Brisket????

Got a electric smoker last week....did my first brisket this weekend....it was ok but not to tender......what is the secret to cooking one.....the pork baby back ribs were better than the brisket......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Brisket doesn't cook evenly, so you need to check temperature several places to decide if it is done. If you take one reading and hit a hot spot, you'll pull it off too early. Foil wrapping from about halfway on can help both even temps and keep the meat moist.

Brisket comes in different forms. One is leaner and won't smoke well. The other still has the big fat piece on it, is more heavily marbled and works better for smoking.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Banned
    I don't call it brisket around here. To me, brisket's more like leather. We have to go to Publix to even get choice steaks, and then the prices are out of our price range. High quality brisket is simply not found.

We'll leave brisket to the Texans. Around here, we eat pulled pork shoulder that's so affordable.

4. Member
    If it does not get tender by 'low and slow' and FTC (foil wrapped with some apple juice in it, towel wrapped around that, stuff it in a cooler and let it rest for two hours) or wrapping it up for half of the cook time, then it is not going to get tender. Get better meat or double check your temp.

5. Member
    What was your cooking process? Temp your cooker was at? Temp the meat read when you pulled it? Size of the brisket and how many hours did you have it in the cooker? Did you rest it and what method of resting did you use?

6. Member
    Wrap it in butcher paper about an hour into the stall, put it immediately back into the smoker (wrapped) until it hits 203*. Once it hits 203*, pull it off the smoker and let rest for at least an hour in a cooler (no ice obviously) wrapped in a towel. Once rested, slice against the grain and everyone eating eat will consider you a hero from there on out.

7. Member
    I smoked my first brisket in a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I put water in the bottom pan and smoked at a temp of 230 degrees. It took about 12 hours and it was so moist and tender that when I went to slice it, it fell apart. I think it was time and temp that makes the difference and of course the quality of the meat. When a skewer pushes through the brisket like pushing it through soft butter it is done.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoto View Post
    Wrap it in butcher paper about an hour into the stall, put it immediately back into the smoker (wrapped) until it hits 203*. Once it hits 203*, pull it off the smoker and let rest for at least an hour in a cooler (no ice obviously) wrapped in a towel. Once rested, slice against the grain and everyone eating eat will consider you a hero from there on out.
    This is how I do my brisket, wrap around 165/170 and just at or over 200 pull and cooler it. You want it to be buttery but still hold together so you can slice and let the meat hang on both sides of your finger without falling apart (if doing sliced brisket)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I don't call it brisket around here. To me, brisket's more like leather. We have to go to Publix to even get choice steaks, and then the prices are out of our price range. High quality brisket is simply not found.

We'll leave brisket to the Texans. Around here, we eat pulled pork shoulder that's so affordable.
    Same problem we have here. I can get pork butt and shoulder for under $1.50/pound any day of the week. Brisket is never on sale and it starts at $5.99/pound. If I am going to pay that much I will catch a strip steak on sale for a dollar more and have that.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

10. Member
    Guys Brisket is Brisket all the rest is Just Beef. Try it you will like it

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rng518 View Post
    Guys Brisket is Brisket all the rest is Just Beef. Try it you will like it
    Care to share recipe or a link. Thanks in advance.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albyfish View Post
    Amazingribs.com has a great tutorial on cooking Texas Brisket. If your new to it I'd also recommend watching a Youtube video on slicing it. FYI his Big Bad Brisket Rub is just like Montreal Steak Seasoning (which I really like on my briskets).

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

13. Member
    Watch Aaron Franklin on u tube he knows Brisket . He has a place in TEXAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Albyfish View Post

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Same problem we have here. I can get pork butt and shoulder for under $1.50/pound any day of the week. Brisket is never on sale and it starts at $5.99/pound. If I am going to pay that much I will catch a strip steak on sale for a dollar more and have that.
    Even at costco if you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Even at costco if you have one?
    No costco in Clarksville. There is a Sams club but I am not a member.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

16. Banned
    Sams club has good stuff from what I see posted. Restaurant Depot?

I'm getting ready to do 15 in a few weeks for a wedding. I'll get them at Sam's, you get case price discount. I'll trim them up inject and rub. I'll smoke at 275 using hickory and apple. I never use a thermometer on brisket. Some gets tender at 185 some 225 temp. When the meat gets the bark color I want I place the meat in pans and cover with foil. I then check them with a bamboo stck. When the stick slides in easy take them off of the smoker and put them in a cooler for a couple of hours
    Also doing a 1000 wings for this cook too. Did 250 wings yesterday on a practice run. All gone
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Quote Originally Posted by dmoto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    This is how I do my brisket, wrap around 165/170 and just at or over 200 pull and cooler it. You want it to be buttery but still hold together so you can slice and let the meat hang on both sides of your finger without falling apart (if doing sliced brisket)
    This is how I do mine also. I never wrap before 160 and wait until I get good bark. When it hits temp AND is probe tender where the temp probe slides in and out easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bobcat55; 08-13-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

19. Member
    Lately, I have had problems with my brisket being to lean and not tender enough with a recipe I have used on my egg for over 5 years now...I have been buying it at Kroger...no more! I remember having good success until I stopped going to Restaurant Depot. All you need to be able to get in there is any type of occupational license. I am a General Contractor and they let me in with my license...I purchased a superior Angus grade brisket again and will see if things change...hope so! Superior grade was about $4.99 a lb....nice to hear from you Clif!

20. Member
    The best and most tender brisket I have ever eaten anywhere in the U.S. was at Franklins in Austin TX. and I have screwed up a lot of meat and time trying to make mine taste like his. Just my .02 cents...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast