Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevypro1 View Post
    The best and most tender brisket I have ever eaten anywhere in the U.S. was at Franklins in Austin TX. and I have screwed up a lot of meat and time trying to make mine taste like his. Just my .02 cents...
    I definitely want to check that place out next time I'm there. Each time I'm in Austin, I cruise by and the line is insane. Little Miss BBQ here in Phx is pretty solid too if you're ever in the neighborhood.

As far as decent store bought briskets, I usually get mine from Costco. I've been pretty happy with their selection. Comes out pretty good.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoto View Post
    I definitely want to check that place out next time I'm there. Each time I'm in Austin, I cruise by and the line is insane. Little Miss BBQ here in Phx is pretty solid too if you're ever in the neighborhood.

As far as decent store bought briskets, I usually get mine from Costco. I've been pretty happy with their selection. Comes out pretty good.
    My first trip there, we got there at 7 am. was 2nd in line. they gave us fatty brisket. the most mouth watering meat you will ever eat! They also gave us the burnt ends. Damn great eating. I'm getting hungry!

3. Member
    Some people might call it a sin but smoke it for about 6 hours then wrap it in 6 layers of aluminum foil and throw it in the oven for about 8 or 10 hours on 250 it will fall apart.
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

4. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    I find for me the magic internal temp is 205. It's all about the temp!

I estimate total cooking time to be 1.25-1.5 hours per pound. This is just get and idea of when it "might be done". Remember it's all about the temp!

I have a REC TEC smoker.

I usually start my brisket around 8PM the night before I want it for dinner. Set the REC TEC at 220 on heavy smoke setting. I check it around
    8:00 the next morning. I continue to smoke it at 220 until the internal hits 165*.

At that point I removed it from the smoker. Double wrap in foil and put it in the oven at 225-250 degrees until the internal reads 205. Nothing under 205 for me.

At that point I remove the foil wrapped brisket an put it in a cooler surrounded by doubled up towels. It will remain in the cooler wrapped in the towels for a minimum of 2 hours up to 4 hours. Remember minimum of 2 hours. I find 3-3.5 hours to be the magic time for me but they do come out swell after 2 hours also. In my opinion the longer time in the cooler the more moist is the meat.

Remember it is all about the temperature.....not the time.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

5. Member
    I buy Prime briskets from Sam's. I bought a case last time at $2.48 a pound. That's 5 prime briskets at about 84Lbs of meat. I use a Rec Tec and it does all cooks great. I smoke at 225 until it hits around 170 and put them in foil pans and wrap.Go back to the smoker until it hits 203. Pull and wrap in 2 beach towels. I don't use an ice chest!! I just sit them out on the counter and let them rest 4 hours!! Pull and slice. Then cube the point for burnt ends.

6. Member
    Low and slow even if it takes 18 hours.
    Don't overtrim the cap.
    Make sure you are doing a packer.
    Do not turn.
    Resist opening the smoker.
    No foil until it is finished.
    When it is finished wrap it in foil and place in a cooler with a few towels and leave it for at least an hour. A few is even better.

7. Member
    Sam's doesn't sell prime brisket. Sam's sells select whole packers. The $2.48 price is on their select. Which, if you know how to cook it, will come out wonderful.

On a side note, Franklin only cooks prime. Prime meat does make a difference with brisket, but most folks have never had prime brisket before. You can certainly make amazing brisket with select or choice.

8. Banned
    My son in law used to smoke everything too long. How long are you socking the wood smoke to the brisket?

The SIL took fourth place in pork shoulder out of over 200 entrants at the Superbowl of BBQ-- Memphis in May. Smoking meats well has a learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    My son in law used to smoke everything too long. How long are you socking the wood smoke to the brisket?

The SIL took fourth place in pork shoulder out of over 200 entrants at the Superbowl of BBQ-- Memphis in May. Smoking meats well has a learning curve.
    With a stick burner, I start 2 separate fires. I continue to add wood for the first 6 hours for smoke. After that, I add only coals to keep temperature up, and minimize additional smoke.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I watched about 1,000 YouTube videos before attempting my first brisket. I learned the most from Malcolm Reed, below is a link to his channel. Everything I've ever tried from his videos turns out simply awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtobbqright

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Sams club has good stuff from what I see posted. Restaurant Depot?
    Yup Agreed ....I have an account there too

12. Member
    Here goes sacrilege. Walmart has brisket cheap. I have cooked some it came out pretty well. Next time I try it I think I'll hit it with my Chinese spring loaded piercing tenderizer and some "5th Season" tenderizer, as well as some beer, cola or apple juice for added moisture. Let the pillorying begin.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 10-06-2017 at 05:01 AM.

13. Banned
    We are more pork eaters than brisket eaters. It is easier to cook, more tender and half the price or less. It is a regional thing.

I've been using the smaller, lean cut (packer or market trimmed) briskets because it's jus the wife and I. We don't need a huger brisket these days. I rub it down the night before and cover it with foil. Right before it goes on the BGE I rub it down with a thick coat of regular yellow Mustard. Cook it at 225-250 and start checking at about the 6 hour mark. Usually foil wrap it at about 8 hours, and let it go until tender. Usually 2 more hours. They aren't quite as juicy as a big fat laden brisket, but they aren't dry or tough.
    Briskets vary on cook time. No two are alike.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

15. Member
    A tasket, a tisket, I have screwed up many a brisket. My setup is a large Big Green Egg with plate setter and BBQ Guru. Bulletproof in theory but it's not. Brisket used to be a throwaway cut of meat but like flank steak, skirt steak and chicken wings, the TV chefs discovered them and now prices are through the roof. Here in NJ, brisket goes for $8.00-$10.00 LB even in Sam's club. I bought a 17lb packer cut for the 4th of July in 2016 and wound up trimming 5 lbs of fat off of it. Throwing $50.00 in the trash is always a kick in the b@lls. The outcome was a disaster....the flat was pretty good but the point was as tough as tank armor and this was with a rock-steady temp of 225.

After so many screw-ups, I've stopped buying brisket and now go with plain old chuck roast. It has a high fat content which is necessary for low & slow BBQ, it tastes great and can be had for $2.99 lb on sale. Plus, if I screw it up, its not a disaster, just convert it into chili. Pork butts are so much more forgiving than brisket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12