Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Other than the PS22 does anyone have any idea on what else might be coming out new?

And, does anyone know if any other manufacturer has licensed Panoptix from Garmin?
    We have a pretty good idea of what to expect based on what we've seen over the last few years. The low end (entry level) will get better and better, more for the same money. Probably the same for the mid level. The market is very competitive. That's good for the fisherman.

I used the think that a patent gave you the exclusive right to market something, but apparently I was dreaming. It appears that a patent give you the right to royalties if some else markets your patented product. If you can agree on the price, it's a license. If not, the the courts decide the royalty. I've seen several assessed at 8%. Based on that I would expect that Humminbird and Lowrance will at some point offer a "Panoptix like" product. I don't think next year. The price for a Panoptix license would be high and the court process dreadful.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Banned
    Id like to see an Echomap 5 using the Striker 5 screen, that can run Panoptix.

3. Member
    A higher kHz transducer?

4. Member
    I would like to see easy screen shot / video capture like my 4 year old HB 998's.

5. Member
    Bluetooth an iPad or iPhone to it....instant video and pictures.

6. Banned
    you can already do that with wifi on certain units

7. Member

A Garmin Flasher

Not really or maybe? I don't know. They don't have one. I hope someone who is reading this will point out the error of my ways since I have so limited experience with a flasher. Here is what I would want.

PS30 or PS22 compatible. Then when you setup you only have to rotate it half a turn to see all the way around. PS21 would work but you would have to rotate it more.

Vertical display. I've never seen the point to a circular display. Someone needs to explain to me the necessity or advantage of a circular display. I'm sure I could learn to use one, but why do things the hard way on purpose?

Better 2d. The wide and narrow cone combination is a great idea but the implementation of the tight cone falls short in deep water. No I am not going to be ice fishing. I would want to use it in winter here while fishing below 100 ft. A 6-7-8 degree cone for the tight cone, 8 degrees max, 6 or 7 better.

Now here is where I might get bashed. I've never used anything that showed real time sonar detail in deep water. That water deeper than 100 ft. Even my beloved Vexilar falls short. I can feel a fish bite before it gets to the lure on screen. There is just a slight bit of delay. The real time and A-Scope functions of all brands I have used have this limitation in deep water. They are just a fraction of a second slow. First the pinging is slowed down but that doesn't account for it. It is still "x" pings per second. It seems to me that there is an internet threshold setting that we don't have access to that requires a certain number of repetitions before a return is displayed. That, along with the slower ping speed creates a lag. The Panoptix is not detailed enough to have this level of discrimination. The older analog flashers probably wouldn't have this lag, but I am guessing. Maybe the current ones don't, I don't know. There has to be a way to get a fast ping speed in deep water. Fast enough to overcome the internal threshold for displaying a return. REAL realtime.

Feel free to add your ideas. Who knows. They may make it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Banned
    wouldnt it makes sense that chirp would correct that?

and did you ever test a deep water, more powerful xdcr?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    wouldnt it makes sense that chirp would correct that?

and did you ever test a deep water, more powerful xdcr?
    I have not use one of the more powerful, more expensive ones like Airmar 258,260,270. I don't think the lag can be improved with a more powerful transducer. Just speculation on my part but I think it's a combination of slow ping speed and requiring multiple readings of the same return before displaying it. Those factors are within the unit software.

Chirp would actually make it worse. Granted it would give a clearer picture but I would expect a chirp ping to take longer than a fixed frequency ping.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Not really or maybe? I don't know. They don't have one. I hope someone who is reading this will point out the error of my ways since I have so limited experience with a flasher. Here is what I would want.

Vertical display. I've never seen the point to a circular display. Someone needs to explain to me the necessity or advantage of a circular display. I'm sure I could learn to use one, but why do things the hard way on purpose?

Feel free to add your ideas. Who knows. They may make it.
    If you straighten out the round to vertical it is much longer than a vertical flasher. It is like getting looking at a 5 in vs. 10 inch screen. The old flashers were the best for bottom hardness in water under 10 feet. The new sonar models with screens have too many automatic setting that change the sensitivity even on manual. I see this with Humminbird and Lowrance, I haven't noticed it with Garmin but it may be true.
    Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

11. Banned
    maybe someone needs to make a flasher with symbols instead of bars.

hard bottom on the flasher could show rocks or gravel. weeds would be weeds. fish->fish etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12