Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

80s and early 90s Champ guys

Hey Guys and Gals.. I have an 88 Champion 184 DC FS I'm getting ready to put my new Trolling Motor on. My boat came with the old thruster and being the new TM is going to be considerably more powerful has anyone "beefed up" the cap under their TM or switched sides as mine is currently on the opposite side of most of todays bass boats. I have some stress cracks on the original side should I -A mount it on the same side as original and try to beef it up somehow? Or -B switch sides and cover the old side with some non slip rubber mat or something to cover up the holes? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    My trolling motor is on the port side(left) on my 1989 176.. the wood in my top cap is about 3/4 inch thick and i went from a 54 pound thrust to a 75 pound thrust with no issues....most stress cracks is just in the gel coat and cause no issues...Lord knows i have a bunch of those cracks in my boat.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

3. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    We want pics!
    Personal preference on which side, I guess. Not many guys change to the starboard side, but I could see changing to port side if you're mounting a new one.
    If you do change sides, you will have a better line of sight while driving, which may be safer.
    Not sure about the beefing up, but the rubber mat idea is a good one to cover up the old mounting area, and the new area on the other side before you mount the new one.
    Be sure to seal old holes first just in case water gets under it somehow.
    Good luck!

4. Member
    Thanks I will try to get some pics tonight. I will get some pics of the cracks and maybe pull the bow switch panel and Champion cover plate and see what it looks like on the inside. Mine is currently on the Starboard side.

5. Pat Goff
    The port/left/passenger side is already "beefed" up. I cut out a truck mudflap to mount the motor on, then use the biggest stainless washers with fiberlock nuts to hold it together. The cheezy ez mounts won't live long.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    The port/left/passenger side is already "beefed" up. I cut out a truck mudflap to mount the motor on, then use the biggest stainless washers with fiberlock nuts to hold it together. The cheezy ez mounts won't live long.
    How did you get your arm up under there far enough to secure it with nuts? I had to use the rubber mounting isolators bece I can't get my hand up under there far enough.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There are ways grasshopper.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Gotta think outside the box ... long shank screwdriver or steel strap, couple of hose clamps to hold your box end wrench & a piece of tape on the bottom side of the box end to hold your nut. Or something like these ... http://www.motorguide.com/store/acce...ting-isolators

Quote Originally Posted by rfroese View Post
    How did you get your arm up under there far enough to secure it with nuts? I had to use the rubber mounting isolators bece I can't get my hand up under there far enough.
    Recess your foot pedal and you can reach the moon.

10. Member
    I have an access panel to get to my trolling motor bolts, there is a Champion placard and take the 4 screws out and the hole is big enough to get my hand in.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce2; 08-07-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Bruce Phillips

11. Member
    I have a terrova so it had to be moved forward and there was no way I could reach the nuts. I almost used the isolator bolts that Tx Champ suggested but having had experience with them before I know that the rubber mount holding the nut breaks after awhile and can eventually pop out. I finally used these https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...-Bolts/3183831 with a little locktite. So far about 1 year later they are all still secure and tight. Metal on metal so no rubber to break off. I had to drill new holes so I filled the old ones before placing a rubber mat down to help with vibrations. I'm eventually going to put some of the black non slip pad that glues down, sort of like what is used on skateboards. I have almost busted my butt before stepping on that after a fresh wax job got wet.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    I have an access panel to get to my trolling motor bolts, there is a Champion placard and take the 4 screws out and the hole is big enough to get my hand in.

My bow is exactly like this but TM on opposite side. I've had it off once and did put washers and something else under there it has been like 6 years so I can't remember. I snapped some pics but I access the site from my phone and have never been successful at uploading them but will try more tomorrow. I think if I go on Port side just the lack of wear and tear should be much stronger. If it lasts another 30 yrs I'll be More than happy.

13. Member
    Also I give Pat props because when I had mine off the one time it was all I could do to get my big paws in there to remove and retighten nuts.

14. Member
    Mine is the same , if I pull the plate its pretty easy access
    1990 Champion 176 SC... 1990 MERC 115
    ​I love the smell of coffee and 2 stroke exhaust at sunrise.......

15. Member
    So did they switch sides in 89?
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

16. Member
    I think it may have been a preference to the buyer as to which side the trolling motor is mounted on...i think the port side is less obstructive to drivers view of whats ahead in the water while running...just my opinion.
    Bruce Phillips

17. Member
    Stainless hardware, fender washer, and locking nuts is best. But, if you've got Popeye forearms and cant get through the access hole, or don't have a recessed TM pan, I second the toggle bolts from Lowes. I've used 'em in the past with great results.

18. Member
    If anyone could upload the pics for me I could text them to you I would greatly appreciate it.

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Here go, Ryan ...

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Here go, Ryan ...

Thanks again. Ok guys what do you think of these cracks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast