Power Pole or Talon for Skeeter SX190 hull

I'm thinking about adding a shallow water anchor to my 2004 SX190, and I'm wondering if the angled sponsons on that hull make the installation problematic, or cause any other issues with hole shot, steering, etc. I'm not a tournament guy or a speed demon (never caught a bass at 60mph), so top-end is not a big consideration, but weight and handling are.

Anyone here with experience on that type hull? Photo of boat below.

"Whoever said 'the pen is mightier than the sword' has obviously never been stabbed."

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If weight is a big issue then I would suggest Power Pole, give me a call and I can go over options and pricing with you.

I've had both. The Power Poles are hydraulic which means that you have to have the room in our transom compartment for the pumps & hoses & are prone to leaking from time to time. Where as the talons are electromagnetical & all they require is a 12Vdc hook up to a battery with a disconnect switch recommended. Talons also come in a variety of colors now to match your boat. It's a matter of preference. Good Luck. Tite Lines 2017
    "Bet on a Vet, You Both Win"

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Power Poles with the new hydraulic hoses and crimped on fittings do not leak, most customers issues from leaking on the old tubing came from improper installs, not cutting the tubing square, or not seating the ferrule/nut properly. All of those issues have been eliminated however with the new hoses. Having the pumps mounted in your bilge area means you are further distributing the weight in the boat of the already lighter powerpoles vs having all the weight of the talon and the brackets sitting directly on your transom.

5. Member
    True the power poles weigh less but they will leak at some point I have many hydraulic machines and they will all leak eventally if you put new lines on every few years maybe not but pump will leak at some point. Alls I hear is pp has great customer service and that's awesome. I would have gone with poles over my talons but I did not have the room for two pumps.

your transom shouldn't be a problem with a sandwich bracket. I think the weight issue of the Talon's is a bit overblown.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ser68 View Post
    True the power poles weigh less but they will leak at some point I have many hydraulic machines and they will all leak eventally if you put new lines on every few years maybe not but pump will leak at some point. Alls I hear is pp has great customer service and that's awesome. I would have gone with poles over my talons but I did not have the room for two pumps.
    I would disagree with this statement.. on my 4th year with blades with tubing, pro II 3 years prior to that not 1 leak. and these weren't the greatly improved real hydraulic hoses the new 2.0 models come with.

8. Member
    I would try and spring for a 10" jackplate and a talon. The plate will get performance up with the pole or talon. Plus it would make it easier to mount either.

9. Member
    If weight is an issue then power poles. If you want to mount yourself and want options for deeper anchor then talon. Talon will effect your hole shot more than likely, mine did but really doesn't affect your top end but 3-4 MPH. The only handling issue is the drag from the mounts which takes a little longer to get on plane. Each brand has pros and cons and plenty of posts in here for you to read.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo30 View Post
    If weight is an issue then power poles. If you want to mount yourself and want options for deeper anchor then talon. Talon will effect your hole shot more than likely, mine did but really doesn't affect your top end but 3-4 MPH. The only handling issue is the drag from the mounts which takes a little longer to get on plane. Each brand has pros and cons and plenty of posts in here for you to read.
    Powerpole are simple and easy to mount my the average consumer, most jackplate powerpole installs can be completed in less then 1.5 hrs by the first time installer. Huge misconception that they are difficult to install. bracket to boat ( 2 screws) bracket to pump (2 bolts) run lines into bilge, screw lines to pump, fill pump with provided Green marine fluid, run positive and negative lines to battery or battery cut off, cycle poles up and down to purge air.. done . Obviously left out mounting brackets to jackplate or sandwich mounting, and bolting poles to bracket as this has to be done with either brand. quite simple....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    your transom shouldn't be a problem with a sandwich bracket. I think the weight issue of the Talon's is a bit overblown.
    Totally agree! I have a single 10" talon on my stratos and really haven't noticed any difference in hole shot or handling! I used the sandwich bracket.