Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You're probably going to have to take the starter off to check this but the bypass cover gasket may be leaking.

2. Member
    Ok, just a thought. I pulled the powerhead and the base gasket was destroyed. Mostly gone. Would this cause this issue? Possibly water under wot pressure going up into the exhaust chamber, hitting deflector on the exhuast plate, and going into the cylinder?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    yes it would

4. Member
    Just for giggles, i went ahead and put my spare powerhead on. I didnt have a powerhead base gasket, so i went without. freshly built, so i didnt do much except run it in the barrel for half an hour at low rpm on double oil. went to the river quickly, dropped it in, and it also got water in the top port cylinder when i tried to spike it to WOT. I dont believe this is a powerhead issue at all. Seems odd to me that the water would get in the bottom cylinder before the top, but at this point, I honestly dont know what else it can possibly be?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check the back of your service manual it has a water flow diagram.

6. Member
    Alright, I feel like maybe I have been chasing a phantom issue. I finally had help today looking at the motor, and I was able to sit by the motor while it was running and messing with the throttle speed vs cylinder drop. It runs absolutely perfect at ALL rpm, until the high speed jet kicks in. Once fuel starts coming up the volute tube, the cylinder is completely dead. Drop it just enough rpm until the fuel comes out of the other jets, it runs perfect. This is with two different carburetors. Reeds LOOKED ok, but im not too sure what else it can be. The VRO pump appears to feed off the bottom cylinder's reed cage, so I dont see it being that. Will too much fuel wash the cylinder and exhaust ports clean just like water? After carefully removing the head today after running, I believe most of the water I saw in the cylinder and exhaust port was from removing the head itself.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

7. Member
    Believe I have it solved. What are the odds that BOTH sets of carburetors have the high speed jet missing on the port side top carburetor? 100% in my case. Should I possibly blue lok tite the new ones in? call it a fluke and just get a spare or two?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Do not use loctite.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12