Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    All cells are made in china...battleborn is assembled in Nevada.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/

https://battlebornbatteries.com/abou...po4-batteries/

2. Member
    Here is what I am running on my boat:

Engine: Evinrude G2
    Trolling Motor: Minn Kota Ultrex 112
    Electronics: 4 - Lowrance Carbon 12, 3D module

Starting battery: X2 AGM (also runs boat power)
    Trolling motor batteries: 3 - Battle Born Lithium
    Electronics battery: 1 - Battle Born Lithium (dedicated to boat electronics except NMEA bus)

Chargers:
    Minn Kota 460PC
    Minn Kota 110PC -- for electronics battery

Also, added the Evinrude auxiliary charging kit to charge electronics battery while running.

The electronics battery is on the jump start switch. And the trolling motor batteries are completely isolated from the other batteries.

I've run this configuration for the last month and have been very happy with it. Before with a Duracell AGM running the boat and electronics and turning the livewell pumps on first thing, around 11 am I would lose my graphs even with them on standby or turned off. Now, I can run all 4 all day and have no issues. And with the pumps running all day, starting is not a problem. I normally fish big waters like Erie, Ontario, and Champlain.

I was not able to locate a 15A single bank charger, so I had to go with a 10 amp. I have been thinking about replacing the 4 bank 15A and 1 bank 10A with a 3 bank 15A and a 2 bank 15A but so far it hasn't been needed. Maybe on the next boat I'll go with that charger configuration.

I used a triple battery tray from Bass Boat Technologies and was able to just fit it into the port side in the battery area. And I used a single tray from BBT for the electronics battery. I did notice that the older plastic trays were starting to split. And I have double strapped the starting battery using the plastic tray.

Net effect is that I have lost about 140 pounds out of the boat. It floats about 1.5 inches higher in the back. Gets on plane very fast. The speed and gas mileage appear to be the same. I just took more weight out of the bow to help with the bow lift when running but I could also trim up. I still need to dial in the new trim/jackplate settings for top end.
    Garry Woodruff
    2020 Ranger 522D / 250HO Evinrude G2 / SonarCards

3. Member
    Why do you need an AGM for cranking? I've use a 100ah RELiON lithium to crank my Yamaha SHO for 5 years now without an issue. I also run all my electronics off the same battery.

4. mikesxpress
    New 4 stroke V8 Mercury manual states the starting battery for this engine must be an AGM with minimum of 975 CCA / 65 Ah. The new DTS technology on this engine and the addition of a clean power harness that attaches to the battery to suuport engine operations (you still have the engine starting cables) Mercury is being very specific. And absolutely nothing operates without the clean power harness.

5. Member
    Evinrude states a similar requirement for the battery as well.
    Garry Woodruff

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by GarryW View Post
    Evinrude states a similar requirement for the battery as well.
    Is there an on-line source saying AGMs only? For G1s or G2s or both?

7. Member
    I haven't found a source yet including the owner's manual (just states CCA/MCA requirements). That's what I was told by one the factory Evinrude techs.
    Garry Woodruff

8. mikesxpress
    Buck can you answer this?

Makes sense test:

My new Mercury V8 250 PROXS 250HP requires an AGM battery for starting so that one stays put.
    I want the ability to jump start the AGM if required so that reduces my choices down to multiple 12VDC lithium batteries for my 36 volt MG tour trolling motor.
    I have the latest Pro Charging Systems PS4 battery charger (wall mounted) for my AGM's. Any additional/required chargers would also be home wall mounted.

I keep seeing folks posting about the ability of these lithium's (in various configurations) being able to "run an entire day"??? That is of concern to me as in the past 11 years I have never killed any of my AGM's during an outing and that's fishing tidal waters 2-4 days a week. My 4 existing PM1's (Odyssey 31M-PC2150) will be coming up on there 6 year replacement cycle soon and I would consider lithium's if the cost/benefits made sense.

If I were to opt for multiple 12VDC lithium's to replace my three AGM trolling batteries what would that cost and what are the requirements for a charger or mods to my charger and what does that cost?

Battle Born is on this thread so how about some published nut & bolt out the door numbers with warranty information, operational longevity for an 8 hour fishing day in strong tidal current with a 36V TM, charger costs/mods, warranty on batteries & charger, and actual battery life in years? Total turn key cost to swap the three AGM's out for the lithium's? *I know the advantages of the reduced weight of the lithium's but the daily performance and longevity is my primary concern as is length of time the provider has been in business and speed of any warranty replacement(s).

A Lithium-Ion battery fire cannot be put out with a conventional fire extinguisher that would be present in a boat.
    What is Battle Born's method and cost to accomplish this?

Here is a benchmark:
    My cost for replacing 3 ea trolling motor batteries with Odyssey 31M-PC2150 / weight 78 lbs is $412.00 each X 3 = $1236.00 and free shipping.
    No charger addition or mods required. Plug N play.
    Enersys makes the Odyssey and has been making batteries for 100 years.
    4 years non-declining warranty. (I have gotten 6 years out of the last 2 sets of four) 48 hour replacement for the one 3 year old battery that failed 8 years ago.

9. Member
    Wow! The cost for these systems and guys willing to go down this road surprises me. I love new technologies as much as the next guy. One thing I have learned simple is almost always the best. These systems sound like a lot of cash for not much gain. IMO

10. mikesxpress
    Hummm. Nothing but crickets.

Mike...I went with 4 12 volt Relion 80AH Lithiums...they were something around $4400. The battleborns will be cheaper for a 100AH unit...which looks like a pretty good deal comparatively.

I stayed with 4 12's to retain the functionality of the jumpstart...bat 1/2 switch.

The batteries weigh 26lbs each.

I run 2 12 inch graphs, 1 9 inch, 2 two power poles, and pumps off the cranking side..

I run a 36 volt ultrex on the troll system.

in addition to dropping weight which noticeably loosened up the handling of the boat, the performance of the batteries have been everything I expected.

I haven't ran the troll system down below 50 percent charge in a day of fishing. Measured by voltage remaining in the batteries.

The minn kota 460 pc did not charge my batteries to full capacity. I sent my 15 amp 4 bank dual pro in for reprogramming.

The lithium sales people will tell you that any agm charger should charge these batteries, but they dont tell you that you will NOT
    get full performance without a charger programmed for lithium. Cost to reprogram with shipping was around 150.00.

Ii haven't spent any time trying to determine speed gains, but I'd say its minimal at best...1-2 mph at the most.

I'm just over a year with the batteries and have had zero issues with them....If they end up having the cycle life that is projected by the manufacturer...It will have been a no brainer to go lithium.
    Last edited by dean c; 08-17-2018 at 08:06 AM.

12. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    I haven't ran the troll system down below 50 percent charge in a day of fishing. Measured by voltage remaining in the batteries.
    deanc,
    Can you share the table of voltages vs discharge vs temperature correction used to determine true state of discharge? Maybe a link or copy of the specifications web page from the lithium ion cell manufacturer that Relion purchased in assembling your particular battery?

If numbers are only from a distributor sales rep or don't have the needed temp comps disregard request, don't care.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-17-2018 at 02:38 PM.

13. Joe4d
    Mike I just looked into the fire aspect and what I found was Lithium Ion's dont actually contain lithium metals,, umm ok,, I guess,, anywho.. Info I could find was they were not class D,,, so an ABC should work,, problem is Lithium Ion gets dang hot when they burn,,, So while ABC should put it out Most boats dont have the quantity required... I mean u can put it out, but soon as you stop spraying it reignites..
    Ship board Advanced firefighting training I just went through ( I work on car ferry) Over hybrids and electric car fires said to evac area and just continuous hit with water to keep it cool.. Stuff could still reignite a day later. Was told to keep fire hoses on it till it was removed from vessel and was someone elses problem.
    Honestly I I had these in my boat Id want to rig a sprinkler system with my live well pumps..
    I think they are cool but 4-5 k for a 100-200 lb savings is insane.

1. Pull your onboard charger and make it a portable..
    2. Do you really need all that crap tackle you are carrying ?
    3. Get a skinnier partner.

My boat is coming prerigged with most likely 3 27 group lead acid interstates ( 24 volt TM)... I will see how it goes, When those fail will go with probably 31 AGM's for the troller and either a 31 agm dual purpose or a pair of 27's.

14. mikesxpress
    Joe,

**As stated previously. Your not going to extinguish them with your boat fire bottle.

1. Pull your onboard charger and make it a portable..
    *Yep. You don't need to carry 33 lbs of charger around while your fishing? Common sense.
    2. Do you really need all that crap tackle you are carrying ?
    *I don't think I have any crap tackle? What tackle I tote in the boat will fit in a Ya'll Mart bag. You don't need any more than that if you know what your doing.
    3. Get a skinnier partner.
    *Being retired I get to fish 2-5 days during the week
    and occasionally take someone. No need to regulate the size of my guest.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-18-2018 at 04:26 AM.

15. Member
    Mike what battery charger do you have that weighs 56 lbs? I have been thinking of removing My Dual PRO and haven't decided on a good way to make the connections and am curious what setup you use. As to lithiums and fire my department responded to a Lithium battery fire and it took 15 minuets of water to put out the battery and keep it from reigniting. I do not know what brand of battery caught fire but the angler was using a portable charger.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

16. mikesxpress
    I have the latest Pro Charging Systems PS4 Delta Volt. 33lbs. The 56lbs reduction I listed in error as that including me removing a full 2 stoke oil tank and remote fill.

If your interested in pulling the charger:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....My+Ranger+lost
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-17-2018 at 05:52 PM.

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Mike what battery charger do you have that weighs 56 lbs? I have been thinking of removing My Dual PRO and haven't decided on a good way to make the connections and am curious what setup you use. As to lithiums and fire my department responded to a Lithium battery fire and it took 15 minuets of water to put out the battery and keep it from reigniting. I do not know what brand of battery caught fire but the angler was using a portable charger.
    Can you find out what battery was on fire Peter?

This chart and the indicator on my dual pro charger pretty much agree with each other...after a day of fishing when charging, the dual pro typically indicates greater than 50 percent charge and fully recharged in a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I have the latest Pro Charging Systems PS4 Delta Volt. 33lbs. The 56lbs reduction I listed in error as that including me removing a full 2 stoke oil tank and remote fill.

If your interested in pulling the charger:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....My+Ranger+lost

I run the same charger...reprogrammed for lithium.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Can you find out what battery was on fire Peter?
    There was not much left of the battery case when the fire was out and the Chief did not remember what the angler told him; this was over a year ago. The chief and I had a discussion about LI batteries for my Ranger and his Cat previous to this and we decided that the technology had to be more mature before going from AGMs to LI. The battery that burned was being charged by an external automotive charger when the fire started and may have been the cause.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast