95 XRI 150 2.5L Giving me problems...Need Help!

I have had this boat 4 or so years and its been great.

Started boat, hasn't been run in a month or so started fine got on plane but topped out at 3,000RPM and if I went over 3,000 I would lose power. Drop below the 3,000 and it would pickup power again. Eventually i turned it off and started right back up but when put into gear it died immediately 3 times. Then it started, got it into gear and it worked fine.... full power and continued working. Turned it off at the bank and when restarting again it died when put into gear a few times. After I got it going again I did get full power and rode around 20 minutes or so.

I just checked and the fuel line is the correct type according to some other threads on here. Not sure about the bulb and have not replaced the diaphragm in the fuel pump yet.

Suggestions??????

Previous Repairs just in case it helps:

This Spring:
    Similar issue but I never had problem with dying when I put it into gear but it did loose power sometimes in the same rpm range as it does now. Mechanic said the throttle linkage was stuck, and he fixed that and set the timing and tested it on the river said it did 60mph and 6100RPM which was great. I do feel like ever since he changed whatever he did the idle has been weaker in neutral and even more so in gear.

Last Spring:
    Had to replace trigger and voltage regulators, lots of vibration from firing out of sync and wouldn't get on plane, one voltage regulator had or was going bad so replaced both

Any suggestions?
    1995 Ranger 481VS Commanche
    1995 Mercury Blackmax 150 2.5L XRi

2. Member
    I would try replacing the diaphragm, not expensive and you can do it yourself. Changed mine along with plugs early in the summer, runs better than ever, have a 2003 XR6.

3. Member
    That was the first thing I was going to try. I have the Sierra kit I bought a while back but read before I should get the Mercury one for the better quality.....is that true?
    1995 Ranger 481VS Commanche
    1995 Mercury Blackmax 150 2.5L XRi

4. Member
    Could be a stator issue.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Start with the BASICS:

-Compression
    -Spark (and FRESH, CORRECT PLUGS)
    -Fuel Quality, Delivery, and Pressure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor